humptybump

Well Known Member
I know a lot of people are using one of the "adventure cameras" such as the Drift, Contour, and GoPro. Most of these cameras have a couple different video modes as well as stills and repeat-photo modes.

First, there is no need to leave the camera with the plane when you fly somewhere. In photo mode, it is a fun wide-angle camera with pretty good results. With the Drift's on-board screen, you shoot with it much like the classic Brownie Starflex cameras of the early 60's where you looked down on the viewfinder from the top.

Anyway, there have been a few posts recently about time lapse videos. Iv'e done a handful and recently decided to "package" the process up for people.

I have a Windows (not Mac and not Linux) solution here - sorry to those folks.

My process it totally batch driven and uses software that will cost you $0. You gotta like that bit.

It's all written up here. And there is a ZIP of the tools and the batch file I use to create time lapse segments like this one.

(Note to moderators, if not appropriate, feel free to move to the 'temp / misc' category)

Last edited:
Very cool! Did you see me fly-by? Look closely at 17 secs in. I cross right to left at the top of the screen, you have to look close! :D

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I have discovered a tool that lets me change the MOV file header. The only real value is that I can use the 60fps recording mode and smoothly slow it to 30fps or even 20fps without reencoding. Then I can use the slow motion segments when I edit together videos.