sblack

Well Known Member
I bought an RV 4 project and both wings are assembled with the LE and top skins riveted in place. The bottom skins are drilled and dimpled and cleco'd in place. The wings are on a rack held by the spar on one end and the bit of spar web that sticks out the other end of the tip rib. If I rivet on the bottom skins in this stand, can I reasonably expect the wing to come out as straight as it was in the original jig when the bottom skins were drilled? Or do I need to put it in a jig and hold it straight for riveting?

Bottom skins

The pre-punched models instructions have the builder move the wing to a bench top side down to rivet the bottom skins. I used my jig since they were already in it. I noticed it was possible to move the wing a little until the bottom skins were riveted.
That said, tons of RVs are built without a jig on the bottom skins.

Check the wing for twist as it is, with as many clecos as you can put in the bottom skins. If you're satisfied with the lack of twist go ahead and rivet it. If not, stick it in a jig or shim its mounting points or something until it's straight. Then rivet it.

But be methodical and take your time at this.

And secure the wing so that it can't shift while you're riveting it.

Dave
RV-3B, slow-build, now on the wings

Check the wing for twist as it is, with as many clecos as you can put in the bottom skins. If you're satisfied with the lack of twist go ahead and rivet it. If not, stick it in a jig or shim its mounting points or something until it's straight. Then rivet it.

But be methodical and take your time at this.

And secure the wing so that it can't shift while you're riveting it.

Dave
RV-3B, slow-build, now on the wings

I agree with Dave.
With the L.E. riveted on the wing is to a large degree rigid.
If measurements show that it is relatively free of twist, get riveting.