lancef53

Well Known Member
How are you guys handling this? I have finished the wiring and have the plane about ready the first run. Do I rivet the top boot cowl on for good and finish the windscreen, or put on the wings and get it running? It seems like it would be nice to not have to work around the wings, but also nice to be able to get at the back of the panel if there happens to be any problems after the first start.

Thanks in advance, I am kind of itching to put the wings on and start this thing, but started thinking it might be better to wait a little while:confused:

Maybe just slide the wings on and pull them off again after it has run?

How are you guys handling this? I have finished the wiring and have the plane about ready the first run. Do I rivet the top boot cowl on for good and finish the windscreen, or put on the wings and get it running? It seems like it would be nice to not have to work around the wings, but also nice to be able to get at the back of the panel if there happens to be any problems after the first start.

Thanks in advance, I am kind of itching to put the wings on and start this thing, but started thinking it might be better to wait a little while:confused:

Maybe just slide the wings on and pull them off again after it has run?

I would definately finish the windscreen and everything else before you start the engine,Once you run the engine all of the assembly / preservative oil will be gone. At this point the engine needs to be flying not sitting for severval months. Consider adding an access panel from the bagage compartment to the back of the panel. This makes life much easier.
Tom
RV 8 184TW

According to the engine storage oil I put in it, I was supposed to run it at low rpm for a few minutes before storage. I don't think running it now would be much different, would it?

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to recall

Somewhere I read that you shouldn't hang the engine until that top piece is installed due to the stresses imposed by the weight of the engine on the longerons. Not sure but that makes senses to me. I planned to finish my wiring, install the top skin, install the engine, then install the w/s, then wings - in that order.
My 2 cents.

Hanging the wings

Finish the fuselage before hanging the wings. The wings are really in the way when working on the fuselage, once they are installed. I would also complete your gear leg fairings, and upper intersection fairings before installing the wings.

It's ok to temporally install the wings to rig and drill the aft spar. Once that is done, you can fit and rig the flaps, install the tank to fuselage angle brace, fit the wing to fuselage fairings, and fabricate the fuel and vent lines. Then store the wings until final assembly.

If you have already done this, finish the fuselage and hold off the engine start until after final assembly. Don't even think about starting the engine without the upper cowling riveted on, and the wings installed! The wings dampen the torque the engine puts on the airframe, and the upper cowl is part of the total strength of the fuselage.

Last edited:
.........nice to be able to get at the back of the panel if there happens to be any problems after the first start.....
Accessing the back of the instrument panel is no problem if you added this simple and popular modification:

nn8pqo.jpg

I elected to complete and check out the radios and all other circuitry associated with the instrument panel and everything else possible while building from the comforts of home. When the plane had to be moved to the airport, all that remained was to splice the wings.

24l8ysz.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies, I will start working on the windscreen and fiberglass.

I am building in our farm shop, and the move when I put the wings on will be about a 25' move.

I hope I dont have any trouble from hanging the engine before the top cowl is riveted. If so, it is too late now:eek:

Thanks--Lance

I hung the engine before riveting the top cowl. It didn't cause any problems for me except there are one or two rivets that can't be driven with the upper left motor mount bolt and nut in place. I used a Cherry Rivet (or two) there.
The sheet metal all lined up, so I don't think there was any distortion or anything.

I clecoed the top cowl on this weekend, it fit fine. There didn't appear to be any sag. The longerons seem to take most of the weight from the top mounts, so I don't think it would be an issue for most.

That's good to hear. It was probably an ole' wives tale. I just found out my avionics are delayed so I may end up doing the same thing (that is hanging my engine before the top skin is riveted on).

Last edited:
That was funny, Rick....

So I will hang my engine before finishing my top cowl..... yea....:)

Guys,
I think the concern was running the engine, not hanging it. I personally think the engine run needs to be done after everything is as finished as possible and then go fly. It takes longer to finish up than most think, or at least it did me. I think it is bad for an engine to run and create all kinds of combustion by products and then sit for several months. I see no reason not to hang the engine and I recomend the panel mod Rick showed. I copied someones and is well worth it. Makes it a lot easier to get behind the panel.

Tom

Quick update on this thread, I did as most of you directed, and finished up the windscreen(almost finished, one more layer of #%&$ balloons) before installing the wings.

Thanks for the great advice, it was right on. The wings are a real pain to work around.

Back to work, I gotta get this thing going before springs work:D

Lance