pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi everybody,
Our 0-360 Catto propelled RV6A has 24 hours on it now and I picked up a pretty fair amount of bugs last week and the airplane seems to be slower. Is that normal? Guess I should wash it and go try again, huh?
Today I went to 7500' and WOT did 180MPH average on GPS (4 leg square pattern) with 2650 RPM showing. We only have the nosewheel pant and gear fairing installed. Is this speed reasonable considering the absence of main gear fairings and the bugs on the wings? I'm a bit disappointed that she's not faster at 1046lbs empty.
Pierre

i've seen maybe 4 to 7 kts loss with bugs and maybe 1 to 2 kts gain with wax on the leading edges after cleaning off the bugs.

Seems Slow

My heavy RV-6A consistently goes in the low to mid 170 kt range. Last year when flying the 120 degree increment three leg 6K density alt. average gps ground speed run we averaged just over 170 kts. Main gear fairings make a big difference - bugs, not much in my opinion.

Bob Axsom O-360-A1A, Hartzell C/S not blended.

Last edited:
search "Wash and Wax"

search "Wash and Wax", several good comments recently on this
(I used Rain-X wipes on the leading edges)

You will see 20 mph or more once all your wheelpants and fairings are on. I'm sure the bugs are slowing you down, but not that much.

Roberta

17kts gain

I gained 17kts with wheel paints and gear fairings on my -9 with O-320 160hp and C/S prop. Can't tell you about bugs as a wipe it down after evey day of flying. It would be a crime to fly a dirty RV. :D

Roger