Mike6A

Well Known Member
Removed my prop for overhaul and decided to put a new alternator belt on. Belt that came off is a 15355 and measures 35 inches. Every brand with that number is 35.5 inches. It is 6 years old, do they shrink that much? Thanks

Never never never heard of a belt shrinking that is in use. I've only replaced a few thousand in my life, But never heard of one shrinking.
Art

They only shrink as the temperature increases, they have a negative thermal expansion coefficient.

But agree, not in operation.

Recommend just using the belt number for a Gates belt.

let me se if i can remember the details from my auto parts gig years ago. the 15 indicates the width of the belt and the 355 would indicate 35.5 inches. a 15350 would be a 30 inch belt.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Belts around my waist only get smaller.

V-belts only get larger.

I have seen the same belt size from different manufacturers have different lengths even when the part number said they were the same length.

Belts around my waist only get smaller.

V-belts only get larger.

I have seen the same belt size from different manufacturers have different lengths even when the part number said they were the same length.

Yes & back in my auto parts days I remember going thru many belts to find 2 that would match in length (dual AC belts), all same manufacturer, part number, even same lot number in a lot of cases