amilder

Has anyone used the DL-01 SS heater box from Van's? I have one, it is square and a bit larger than the standard triangular valve. I wanted to go ahead and make a hole and mount it now, before the engine mount, etc.

My question is will using the standard 2" hole location work with this larger box? Is there anything that could interfere? What orientation of the exhaust air hole did you use?

Thanks,
Andy

p.s. I realize now one of the advertisers makes a SS version of the triangular box. But I already have this one (DL-01 SS) and would like to make it work.

Me too

I have it too, but have already cut the std 2" hole at the specified location.

Somebody help us!

Rick 90432

Don't drill the hole according to the plans as it will interfere with the fuel pump. An inch towards the copilot side would probably work. I would definitely recommend against drilling any of the firewall penetrations until you have an engine hung.

Todd Neidinger
RV-9 w/IO-360

Don't drill the hole according to the plans as it will interfere with the fuel pump. An inch towards the copilot side would probably work. I would definitely recommend against drilling any of the firewall penetrations until you have an engine hung.

Todd Neidinger
RV-9 w/IO-360

Thanks Todd, I think I will take your advice on that.

exit air

The exit air should point down or angle towards the cowling exit if at all possible. Remember, all summer it will have warm/hot air flowing thru it!
So you really wouldn't want it dumping air on top of the gascolator, etc.
Vans also sells a 90 degree alum ell for use with the airboxes too.
Good Luck.

Todd Neidinger
RV-9 w/IO-360

Which fuel pump? I don't see a problem.....:confused:

file.php

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
The problem as I understand it is with a carbureted engine with a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. You won't have this particular problem with the IO-360.