TX7A

Well Known Member
There is lots if info about making your own hoses. However, I can't seem to nail down any info about which type hose to use. I've looked at the hose materials mainly from Pegasus and Earl's since these two suppliers get referenced. It looks to me that others have used the Teflon lined hose for both fuel & oil. These are, of course, with stainless steel braid covers. I also see stainless braid covered aramid/synthetic rubber-lined hose. I'll be running a carb, so I'm not certain how rated pressures come into play vs. injected.
The Pegasus Teflon 811 hose has a max temp rating of 500F. I couldn't find a temp rating for Earl's speed flex hose other than it had a "heavier" 0.040 Teflon wall. Both Pegasus & Earls have the fittings specified for their hose.
Those of you making your own fuel & oil hoses, where did you get your materials and which type are you using? (I realize that there is Bonaco, Summitt Racing & other sources.)

Thanks for any help on this.

Hi Sam,

We just assembled all new oil hoses for Louise's RV-6 ("Mikey"). I went with Aeroquip hose and fittings from ACS because I knew what I was getting - I am sure that if I had done some research, I'd have found racing alternatives cheaper, but I new the Aeroquip was a known quantity, and I have ruptured an oil hose in flight on an airplane before - not something I EVER want to repeat!

Paul

Last edited:
Aeroquip type...?

Paul,

Did you use the Aeroquip 601/701? ...and did you make them yourself?
If you did, did it require the use of a mandrel?
(I really want to make my own so I can get the exact length I want.)

Thank you for your reply.

Paul,

Did you use the Aeroquip 601/701? ...and did you make them yourself?
If you did, did it require the use of a mandrel?
(I really want to make my own so I can get the exact length I want.)

Thank you for your reply.

Yes Sam - 701 (should have included that in my first post, but had to look it up). I made the hoses up myself, using the Aeroquip fittings (I actually bought this batch of hose and ends from vans - they have everything that matches. No mandrels required, but this wasn't my first rodeo, and I didn't want to struggle with getting the hose into the fitting, so I bought the "Koul Tool" set ($75) from Van's as well, and the job took zero effort and time - now I have the tools for any future projects (and the neighbors that drop by to make hoses as well...).

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I've read about the Koul tools. They seem like they would make the job easier for the novice like me. Also, you got me to thinking about this whole hose thing...with Aeroquip, you know what your getting and it's well-proven. Nothing against the racing shop hose...there's gobs of it out there flying around everyday. But, for the first time out of the chute, I'm going for a little peace of mind.

Thanks again.