TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
After reading the thread on canopy covers, and the protection they afford, is there a good DIY version available? Something that would not cost $400 and up, like my friend paid for his?

Our plane is hangared all the time, but will be tied down on the ramp during those long x-country trips we will make several times a year.

eMVfbR

Above is the photo downloaded off Shutterfly. Note the lack of success.

Last edited:
Flightline Interiors

I just bought one for my 7 from Flightline Interiors for half that cost. I figured that by the time I sourced the material, made a pattern, and found someone to sew it, I'd be way ahead by just buying it. Abby makes a great product!

I just bought one for my 7 from Flightline Interiors for half that cost. I figured that by the time I sourced the material, made a pattern, and found someone to sew it, I'd be way ahead by just buying it. Abby makes a great product!

Second that. The cover is lightweight and easy to fold up and store.

None that I know of. I made my own heavy weight cover for the 6, as it was outside for a few months until I got my hanger. It is doable, but it takes a while to produce the patterns with scrim. Mine fits like a glove with no movement in wind and had a nice microfiber interior.

Larry

None that I know of. I made my own heavy weight cover for the 6, as it was outside for a few months until I got my hanger. It is doable, but it takes a while to produce the patterns with scrim. Mine fits like a glove with no movement in wind and had a nice microfiber interior.

Larry

Thanks for the info. We have found two companies so far that will "custom make" one for us. They would need a pattern to start. It was requested that we mail them a current cover, so they could copy it. The cost would approach $300.

Two calls made this morning to Flightline Interiors. No one home. Message left on the answering machine. No response yet.

I think the light weight covers from Van's are perfectly acceptable for parking a plane on the ramp for a few days. Its keeps the rain and sun out, which is exactly what it's for. They also dont weight much or take up much space.

Walmart car cover about 30-40 bucks. Lay it over your canopy and trim, hem, pleat as required. A few eyelets. Your choice of straps (rope). Material breathe and is water resistant, and very lightweight.

Walmart car cover about 30-40 bucks. Lay it over your canopy and trim, hem, pleat as required. A few eyelets. Your choice of straps (rope). Material breathe and is water resistant, and very lightweight.

Now here is an idea that I (and my wife) can relate to.