dlomheim

Well Known Member
I am curious if anyone on the list might have devloped a simple AOA system or has some ideas of the best way to do so.

I have been pondering this for a couple of years and am leaning towards two possible ways to build it as follows:
a. Buy a couple of pressure transducers and find someone to help write up some comparative software program that will determine AOA and output to LEDs, etc.
b. Buy a rotary potentiometer, add a wind vane to it and place it out on a wing tip. I have found software on the internet that is used to output wind direction so I would think this could be adapted to show AOA as well...

Anyway thoughts, ideas, or current examples would be appreciated.

Doug Lomheim
90116, FWF

Good timing!

There is an article in the latest Sport Aviation magazine that Barker wrote on how to build your own AOA. Doesn't look too tough.

Last edited:
there is also a diy lift reserve indicator plan out there somewhere. it uses only tubes and a pressure gauge and no electronics. i can't remember where i saw it unfortunately. not quiet the same thing but may be worth looking into.
leon

AOA

Any thoughts on mounting Baker's device on the vertical stabilizer or on the fuselage somewhere? Not sure I like hanging it off the pitot.

Any thoughts on mounting Baker's device on the vertical stabilizer or on the fuselage somewhere? Not sure I like hanging it off the pitot.
I assume you wish it to be in "free air" and near fuselage you do have backwash...

Hi,

I've been considering this as well as DIY but this as well is currently on hold. The difficulties I see are in sensors side and cockpit electronics are easy (calibration and verification etc. software optimization takes their time though):

Who wish to have extra pitot etc. coming out so similar ports that Advanced Flight Systems (AFS) would be great. However problem with them is especially upper port which can collect water inside ==> System needed to drain water out. AFS sells their wing kit only but for DIY that is extremely expensive (was it around $400?).

Of course you could connect it to your Dynon pitot, but having totally different system would increase dependability.

But basically my plan would be to have two ports (I could propably consider something like in that CH601) with independent pressure sensors. Then micro controller to capture data from them. Micro controller would make calibration and studying how pressure behaves significantly easier and could be very educational see it. After that proper formulas to indicate the AOA status... There are many suitable sensors and micro controllers so this DIY would be mainly pure work.