ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I'm finalizing my exhaust but the left side gets within 1/4" or so of the fuel line. I've ordered the Van's heat sheild but even with that in place, is this too close? Any ideas?

cimg2351t.jpg

cimg2350h.jpg

Kelly,
Too close. Not enough photos/angles to offer a concrete suggestion, but you can do better.

I'm with Dan - too close for my comfort. You should be able to tie the fuel line to the next higher engine mount tube...somehow!

Ditto for me. I tried my best to get two inches between the fuel line and the exhaust and even then I added some heatshields clamped to the exhaust to protect the fuel line.

Remember, things move around a good bit in there. Some of it because of engine vibration and some because of the volumn and speed of the cooling air.

Fuel line gap (Before installing heat shields):

Heat shields:

Yea, that's what I figured.

Thanks for the input. Too close is what I was thinking as well. I'll play around with it tonight. Yesterday was the first time I had the last section of exhaust installed since routing the fuel line. I was surprised at just how close it ended up.

I have the fuel flow transducer in line just upstream from the carb. If I remember correctly, either it wants to be mounted horizontal and the carb inlet wants the line coming in horizontally or with a slight downwards slope. I have to check my paperwork when I get home. Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

... If I remember correctly, either it wants to be mounted horizontal and the carb inlet wants the line coming in horizontally or with a slight downwards slope. I have to check my paperwork when I get home. Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.
Kelly,

The others will probably add something to this but what you don't want is your fuel lines to have any "pouches" in them. By that, I'm saying the fuel lines should be heading down hill all the time so there is no place to accumulate water or sediment.

One exception to that, the lines may run up hill from the gascolator and then down to the carb. Any water/sediment left in the line will run back to the gascolater, just make sure you don't go too high. In my case, the line runs out of the gascolater, up to the fuel flow meter, down to the fuel pump, and then down to carb.

Last edited:
Kelly,

The others will probably add something to this but what you don't want is your fuel lines to have any "pouches" in them. By that, I'm saying the fuel lines should be heading down hill all the time so there is no place to accumulate water or sediment.

One exception to that, the lines may run up hill from the gascolator and then down to the carb. Any water/sdiment left in the line will run back to the gascolater, just make sure you don't go too high. In my case, the line runs out of the gascolater, up to the fuel flow meter, down to the fuel pump, and then down to carb.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Kelly

Sorry I am hijacking your thread here but you have highlighted a similar concern I have about the proximity of a fuel line/carb connector to the exhaust pipe on my RV6.

I have an 0-360 with a 4 into 2 exhaust system (no flexible joints) and as the photo shows, the carb fuel hose connecter is only about 1/4" from the exhaust pipe. Unlike Kelly's situation, the hose itself is directed well clear of the exhaust system, it is the connector that is worying me. I am hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can offer some insight, is this OK or should I be looking for some sort of 'low profile' connector?

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq282/whittfic/DSC03055.jpg

I doubt there is room for a heat shield in the current configuration.

Thanks in advance, and again apologies for moving in on your thread Kelly.

Clive Whittfield
Auckland
New Zealand
RV6, firewall forward, systems etc

crankcase breather

Okay, this is a little off topic but I noticed a couple of things in your pix. First, what kind of blue tubing are you using for the breather line and second. I noticed a hole drilled in the aluminum breather line. Would this be for freezing protection?

Thanks.

Ditto for me. I tried my best to get two inches between the fuel line and the exhaust and even then I added some heatshields clamped to the exhaust to protect the fuel line.

Remember, things move around a good bit in there. Some of it because of engine vibration and some because of the volumn and speed of the cooling air.

Fuel line gap (Before installing heat shields):

Okay, this is a little off topic but I noticed a couple of things in your pix. First, what kind of blue tubing are you using for the breather line
That line is from a local NACAR race shop, I'm not really sure what it is but it is impervious to oil. There is no label on it, so I can't give you any details.

I noticed a hole drilled in the aluminum breather line. Would this be for freezing protection?
Exactly

How about this?

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier so here we go again:

Well, despite spending a very exciting weekend at my 8 year old daughter's soccer jamboree, I was able to rework my fuel line and now I have a much bigger space between the exhaust and the fuel line. I cut about 4" from the fuel line and rerouted things. The fuel flow transducer is slightly off of horizontal and I only have about 4" of straight line coming out of it and less than that going into it. I think fire safety (or vapor lock avoidance) is more important than dead nuts accuracy of the fuel flow. From what I've read, it seems that I most likely won't lose much in the way of accuracy anyway. Besides, I also have what are advertised as very accurate capacitance fuel senders and of course there is the time tested digital timer for estimating fuel consumption. Here is how it looks now:

cimg2396x.jpg

From the bare exhaust pipe (no shield) to the bare fuel line (no fire sleeve) the closest I get now is about 1 5/8" and this is to the tailpipe. I reasoned that it's best to maximize the distance from the portion of the pipe at the cylinder. My line is over two inches away from this area.

I bought the $11 heat sheild from Van's. You can see it on the left but now that I've rerouted everything, it doesn't do a heck of a lot. Then, using Van's design as a guide, I made my own out of a piece of galvanized sheet but I made it much longer. I put it at the closest point and you can see it at the lower center of the picture.

Any opinions or suggestions?

By the way, my daughter's team, the Thundercats, came in second to the dreaded Soccer Divas. It was a fun weekend!

I'm finalizing my exhaust but the left side gets within 1/4" or so of the fuel line. I've ordered the Van's heat sheild but even with that in place, is this too close? Any ideas?

cimg2351t.jpg

cimg2350h.jpg

Would it be advisable to use hard (5052-0 alloy) aluminum tubeing covered with aeroquip fire sleeve and clamped in multiple places to the engine frame to connect the mechanical fuel pump to the injection servo on a Lycoming IO-320 engine?
Gird A. McCarty
Chuckey, TN
RV-9A