jsharkey

Well Known Member
Anyone replace the K&N element with an automotive disposable one?
Just throw away and replace with a new one when you change the oil.
If so what part number?

Jim Sharkey

It is easier to clean the exsiting K&N than cut and fit a filter every time it gets dirty. IMHO.

So, me thinks you will be hard pressed to find someone using a disposable automotive filter.

It is easier to clean the exsiting K&N than cut and fit a filter every time it gets dirty. IMHO.

So, me thinks you will be hard pressed to find someone using a disposable automotive filter.

True for the O320 engine but my RV6 has YO360-A1A which fortunately uses an unmodified K&N filter element. I just thought that for the few bucks that a disposable filter element cost it might not be worth the effort of messing with the K&N.

Jim Sharkey

Jim,

Lucky you! Even my O-290 required a modified K&N.

When I first started using K&N filters on my car I remember reading in their documentation that the filters do better with age and proper cleaning. Besides, it is fairly easy to clean the things. Any auto shop should have the cleaing kit.

Some people buy two filters, one clean one to have on the shelf and one on the plane.

I discovered that there is a K&N filter that doesn't require hacking up to fit a 320 and posted on this a while back. The ID circumference on the Van's recommended filter is too small for the elliptical ID circumference required. It has to be stretched to fit and cut out for the accelerator pump. Using the appropriate K&N filter eliminates the issue altogether.

Larry