Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
IMG_3281.jpg

I received this model as an award from the Sport Air Racing League so I did not order it myself. It is a accurate detailed model of our RV-6A down to the thin white edging stripe between the red and blue major colors. The color shades are correct, the pattern is accurate, and the details like the canopy latch, pitot tube, antennas, and the Mooney sponsor decal all racers carried in the 2005 AirVenture Cup race are included. It is hand carved in the Philipines and includes a custome made stand that is removable. www.customairmodels.com is the website listed on the box. I have no idea how much it cost but it is a beauty.

Bob Axsom

Very pretty Bob - and well deserved after all the sound work you have put into the air racing and speed chase! I have Philippine models of my RV, as well as my old Grumman, and all are really accurate and well made. I suspect there is a small industry of connected people over there that do these, and I KNOW that folks over here get hooked up with them and sell them as their own, while actually contracting with the real artists over there.

This is the first view Ive had of your airplane from the top - very nice!

Paul

Very nice model! Love the detail. I think everyone should have a model of their airplane. After all, isn't building models how most of us got into aviation? To have a model of your own plane kinda brings things full circle.

Here is a 1/8 scale balsa and ply model of "Catalina" I built for my father in Bethesda, Md. I flew it up to him a couple years ago in the full scale version. :)

model008zx9.jpg

Hello Bruce

Very nice model! Love the detail. I think everyone should have a model of their airplane. After all, isn't building models how most of us got into aviation? To have a model of your own plane kinda brings things full circle.

Here is a 1/8 scale balsa and ply model of "Catalina" I built for my father in Bethesda, Md. I flew it up to him a couple years ago in the full scale version. :)

model008zx9.jpg

Is there somewhere I can get plans for your plane?

Kent

Is there somewhere I can get plans for your plane?

Kent

Kent,
You have the plans already. I used the three view drawing from Vans and scaled it to 1/8. I lofted the dimensions onto my building board and cut out a few fuse formers from 1/16 ply. The fuse was built up as a box around the formers. The cowl and canopy are carved from blocks of balsa as are the wing tips. The tail is 1/4 balsa sheet carved and sanded to shape. The wings are 1/32 balsa sheet built up over 4 or five balsa ribs. I covered the whole thing with tissue and dope to strengthen the wood and cover seams. I had the same guy who did my vinyl graphics on the full scale version make small ones for the model, Gregg Judy.
My father loves it and it hangs from the ceiling in his home. That was the least I could do for him since he helped finance a large chunk of my panel.....come to think of it, he financed a large chunk of my life as well. :)