eugenemaree

I'm New Here
I was wondering if physical buttons are doable with my G3X system for controlling some functions which are at this time only on the touch screen. Specifically I would like to have a "Pilot Isolate" button as I do not have an Audio panel. My 9 year old daughter often babbles continuously and sometimes I need to mute her quickly without going into the audio menu.
But I think there are more functions for which a discreet button/switch would be nice for.
Thanks in advance.

Download the G3X install manual from Garmin. You’ll find out what can be discrete inputs.

The GMA245R install manual is separate and here are the discrete inputs available. Pilot ICS is one of them

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Webb, but what I mean is that I do not have a audio panel. I have a Gtr20 remote comms connected to the g3x and I use the g3x built-in controls and gtr’s intercom via the audio tab.
There is a pilot isolate touch button, but I hope to have a discreet one for that.

I don't think the G3X discreets will help you. The GTR20 has 2 discreet inputs: see the G3X intall manual section "22.15.12 Discrete Inputs" for their description. It doesn't look like ICS mute is one of them.
However, the GTR20 configuration menu in the G3X may be of help. I don't know for sure, but it may be possible that you can have ICS mute on transmit and receive. This feature (if available) may be of use to you.
Sorry that I don't have an exact answer, but this may get you pointed in a helpful direction. Hopefully some one will chime in with an exact answer.

Thanks Webb, but what I mean is that I do not have a audio panel. I have a Gtr20 remote comms connected to the g3x and I use the g3x built-in controls and gtr’s intercom via the audio tab.
There is a pilot isolate touch button, but I hope to have a discreet one for that.

If no discrete I think you could easily put a simple toggle switch on the mic wire.

Another possible quick fix when the chatter becomes distracting is to reach over and flip her boom mic up away from her mouth. She can still talk all she wants, but it won't be talking over other traffic or ATC calls.

Or you can wait a few years and she probably won't want to talk to you at all. Teenagers often learn how to communicate effectively using only eye rolls. :rolleyes:

There are two discrete input pins for the GTR 200 / 20. Pins 2 and 22. These could be wired to a switch that grounds the circuit to activate the discrete. There is a setup page in the GTR system configuration for designating the desired discrete function. Attached is a picture of the available functions. Could having a switch to activate co-pilot ICS be the answer? If so the switch could be placed so that when down it grounds the discrete wire and when up it opens the circuit (deactivates co-pilot ICS). I think....

Attachments

• Pages from GTR 200 IM.jpg
    Pages from GTR 200 IM.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks everyone for the advice about switches and teenagers :)
I think Webb's plan is the simplest by just adding a toggle switch to disconnect the pax microphone.