panhandler1956

Well Known Member
Doesn't seem possible to damage my airplane in the polishing process, but leave it to me to find a way!

I was compounding the top wing skin (1st process in the polishing of new metal) and the polisher grabbed the corner of the unsupported outboard top skin where it butts against the inboard skin at the trailing edge. It peeled the skin back really bad (90 degrees). Luckily it didn't tear the skin and I could bend it back in place, but it has some nice creases. Any ideas on how to fix this. If I was painting my airplane I wouldn't be as concerned, but I'm polishing.

Birth marks suck! This picture was taken after the compound polishing was done.
FP12062011A0003P.jpg

Help....

Last edited:
Wow!

One of the first lessons in polishing sheetmetal, is to never let the disc go toward the edge from the outside. ALWAYS allow the disc to rotate away from the edge to free air so it's impossible for it to grab.

Unfortunately, you're not the first to learn this lesson the hard way.

Best,

I think the only reason i've gotten away without this happening to me is that the free end is laying on the leading edge of the flap (if i'm seeing the same place I think I am). But i'm going to watch more closely from now on...

PDR

Check with local auto body shop that specializes in paintless dent removal. I don't know if it will work with aluminum, but it's worth a try.