BlackRV7

Well Known Member
I've got the back of my HC C2YR 1BF A sub hub but the front obviously has a trick to it I'm not seeing.

hubqb1.jpg

Anyone able to lend some knowledge I obviously don't have, I need to get these bent up blades off so I can send the hub in for inspection.

Last edited:
Dana,
I didn't tear apart the prop I got from you =) and I'm not a Hartzell specailist, but I play one on VAF... the front cap needs to be unscrewed. There are four bolt holes on the front that requires either a special wrench or a homebuilt one matching those four holes. After removing the cap, you can remove the piston, the spring, keepers and oil supply tube. Don't worry too much about that spring, it should only pop up about an inch. Once the piston is removed, the blades should just fall right out. Carefull to watch in which order everything comes out, and be ready to catch those ball bearings when the blades come out. Other than that, easy as pie. Good luck buddy.

Last edited:
Dana,
I didn't tear apart the prop I got from you =) and I'm not a Hartzell specailist, but I play one on VAF... the front cap needs to be unscrewed. Good luck buddy.

Hah, you want to trade props;)

Are you saying the four thread inserts into which the four bolts go for the front spinner plate need to come out along with the low pitch stop? If so, how in the heck do I get those threaded inserts out?

Back to my original question......you want to trade props:) Actually I am looking at my new HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 blended prop FedEx delivered yesterday after my Tuesday evening post asking if anyone wanted to trade Hartzell spots. I should have also bought a lottery ticket that day.........

Hah, you want to trade props;)

Are you saying the four thread inserts into which the four bolts go for the front spinner plate need to come out along with the low pitch stop?
QUOTE]

That's how ya do it, you shouldn't have to remove the inserts though, i simply made a long handled tool with those 4 holes drilled at one end, bolted it on to the hub (after removing the low pitch stop of course) and off it came. I can post pictures later if this is still clear as mud.

Trade props? Nah, I worked so hard to get this one!:D

Hate to rain on your parade, but are you aware that Hartzell says the hub is to be decommissioned following a prop strike? I presume that is what happened since you say, "bent blades..."

I took my MT hub apart last fall but had the cell phone going and connected to a tech rep who talked my though it....the first time you may need some help.

wow imageshack is terrible! The photo below (you can see it better if you click on it) is an unused hub "cylinder" if you will, and a quick build hub cylinder removal wrench thingy I made this morning for pictures only, my good one seems to have walked away. You might start with reassembling the rear half of the hub with a few bolts to hold it in place while you take apart the front, makes things go smoother.
Application of said wrench to assembled hub "cylinder" with the assistance of a few bolts holding wrench to hub, along with more assistance of people perhaps holding blades in place... a good push in a counter-clockwise (looking twards the prop, yes lefty loosie) will give a final result of a removed hub. There's oil inside, be prepared for that too.

I'm on an extended extention of a long lunch break:D I'll go snap some more pictures of the inside of a hub and post them up asap, so long as no one notices I'm not at work.

Last edited:
Duh

It unscrews.........mission accomplished by putting the four bolts back in and a big ol wrench between them.

Thank ya,

Ok, back again. After you've removed the cylinder as described above, the piston will be held down by a castle nut, remove it, and it's spring. Under the spring there's a cap over an o-ring and two half round pieces sitting in a groove in the oil supply tube sticking out of the hub. These will probably fall out, so watch for them.

After all this is taken off and your main bolts are again removed from the two halves, go ahead and pull the front half off as shown below.

Next, with few extra hands, the blades should pull right out of the back half of the hub. All looks pretty simple once you see it first hand!

Last edited:
Removal/Installation tool image

Dana,
I can send you a drawing of the tool off list. Since I have the full version of Acrobat, I can crop a single page from the assembly manual for you. The manual is HUGE (2314 pages)
Charlie Kuss