N941WR

Legacy Member
I noticed that some of the airports I visit have had their identifiers changed recently.

For example, 3M3 became KFGU and 3BS became KIKW.

Nowhere have I seen any kind of notification of the change. The way I have found out about the new identifiers is when I?m doing my flight planning and the old identifiers no longer work.

What is going on?

Last edited:
They probably just got an AWOS.

Go to Airnav and check their NOTAMS:

!LAN 08/370 IKW SVC AWOS 119.525/989-835-5841 CMSND

Collegedale must be a slightly older installation

Last edited:
4SD recently became RTS. I presumed it was because we got an instrument approach since that happened about the same time.

greg

Well, now you can sit and say "in the old days, when the Air Races were at 4SD...." (unless you're REALLY old and can say "when they were at Cleveland":D)

greg

It is part of the U.S. compliance with ICAO that all airports eventually comply with the KXXX format.:(

Long Ago I decided it was a scheme

Long Ago I decided it was a scheme to force me to buy GPS data base updates.

Bob Axsom

Long Ago I decided it was a scheme to force me to buy GPS data base updates.

Happily, my 90 day "free" update card worked .......considerably past that date. It did add some additional Jeppeson airport layouts to the data-base, that were just runways with lines, before.

Ahhh....memories!

The field where I spent many years with my Grumman (KSPX) didn't just lose it's name, it lost the fight altogether, and is now a housing development. The field where my RV-8 grew up used to be T00, and changed to KLVJ a number of years ago.

Now if you REALLY want to lose some valuable building/flying time, take a look at this web site that really does address "disappearing" - or "disappeared" airfields. Brings back all sort so "you know, I could have sworn there was an airport there when I was a kid...." kind of moments.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

Paul

I think there is/was...

It is part of the U.S. compliance with ICAO that all airports eventually comply with the KXXX format.:(

...also another effort to label all private airports with a state code.

Our Airpark was re-designated from 40E to 57AZ.

This was quite a few years ago, so this re-numbering may already be completed...

KXXX apparently has to be all letters. I do not know everything involved in coverting to KXXX except that locally it seems all changes have been after an AWOS installation.

The "K" is not actually part of the identifier. The "K" means that this is an airport. Many VORs will have the same identifier as an airport. Therefore the "K" was added to separate the 2. That's why you will only see the "K" on airports with 3 letter identifiers.

A few web pages mistakenly use the "K" on all airports. This is improper.

Well - sort of...

The "K" is not actually part of the identifier. The "K" means that this is an airport. Many VORs will have the same identifier as an airport. Therefore the "K" was added to separate the 2. That's why you will only see the "K" on airports with 3 letter identifiers.

A few web pages mistakenly use the "K" on all airports. This is improper.

...the full ICAO (and FAA - we have to "harmonize", you know...:)...) airport designation has a K at the start to signify the US - well actualy the part of the globe the airport is in.

We seem to be lucky in that the rest of the world has a different ICAO code from a "airline baggage code"...:)

Here in the US the GPS goes to KTUS and your baggage tag says TUS. Fly to London Heathrow, and the baggage tag says LHR, but you have to put EGLL into your GPS...

Good explanation here --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization_airport_code

Don't most GPS data base look-ups have the option of putting in the "K" - or should I say the option of assuming a leading "K" - for US airports?

Last edited:
The "K" is not actually part of the identifier. The "K" means that this is an airport.

Correct to an extent but K is part of the identifier on an international flight plan and designates the airport as being in the 48 contiguous United states.

See the article below titled:

Airport ABCs: An Explanation of Airport Identifier Codes

This article was published in the journal of the Air Line Pilots Association, Air Line Pilot, in December of 1994.

http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html