f1rocket

Well Known Member
I was just turned down for disability income insurance not because I'm a pilot, but because I fly an "experimental".:eek: I am wondering if others on this forum have been successful in purchasing disability insurance outside of your employer-sponsored plans. I went back to the ranks of the self-employed and it seems the underwriting rules have become a little more stringent in the past 5 years. If you were successful, which company did the underwriting? Thanks.

Expirimental flying

You have to if they ask.

I just bought term life for myself and the expirimental flying surcharged it a little bit. Actually about 20%.

Call Ed Brooks at CS&A - 615-435-8300. They do a lot of life (incl. disablity) for pilots.

Just be glad you don't fly cropdusters, or piston charter planes, or helicopters. You don't ride motorcycles or skydive, do you?

They asked the question specifically, I didn't volunteer it. At that point you have to answer truthfully, otherwise you risk a claim denial. Worse than not having the coverage, is paying for it only to find out they deny your claim and on disability income claims, they look for any way possible to deny them.