AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I have a few on my wheel pants that are very difficult to get the screws in or out of. I've tried running a pipe cleaner soaked in mineral spirits through to attempt to remove any grit or dirt that might be causing the problem. This hasn't worked. It is practical to run a tap through the nutplate to clean up the threads? I am worried that it won't follow the original threads and I will cause a bigger problem. Any experience with this?

Thanks. Andy

If you run a tap all the way through, you will open up the threads and loose the locking feature of the nutplate. You could try to run the tap part way--------but take it slow and check often.

I use beeswax to lube the threads in nutplates, go get a wax toilet sealing ring at the local hardware store, and a box of toothpicks. You should now have a lifetime supply of nutplate lube, and application tools.

pACE3-17458539enh-z7.jpg

Last edited:
It is practical to run a tap through the nutplate to clean up the threads?

Yes, you can, and it is unlikely that you'll not match threads. As Mike said, you will lose the locking feature. Often it doesn't matter, or may be desirable. I tap a lot of my non-critical nutplates during construction.

What kind of screws are you using? If you are using stainless steel, you may be experiencing galling. I used SS screws on all the exterior applications like wheel pants and I am now changing to cad plated steel screws whenever I remove a SS screw.

I am using SS because my plain is silver :)o). But I have the others as well, so I may start to swap them as I go. I'm anxious to see how the bees wax works too. Might help keep the head from stripping too.

What kind of screws are you using? If you are using stainless steel, you may be experiencing galling. I used SS screws on all the exterior applications like wheel pants and I am now changing to cad plated steel screws whenever I remove a SS screw.

Exactly. It's not dirt that is causing the hanging-up that you're experiencing. To be sure, put a new cad-plated screw in the same nutplate. The problem will likely disappear.

You can also cut a thin grove in the side of a screw lengthwise through the threads. This screw will not remove any metal like a tap but it will clean out any junk. I use a dermal with a metal cutting disk with the screw lightly clamped in a vice to make these. Also work very well to remove paint from the threads.