briand

Well Known Member
Anybody know if Dirty is still goin' on the "8"?;)

I would like to see fancy pants progress.:D

I'm kidding about the dirty part............ not the fancy part. Kidding! kidding!

Whatever, his "7" website got me goin on my 8 and I would like to see what-up now, yo.:D

Seems like I read somewhere where he posted that the 8 was not going to happen. I might be "misremembering".

The partially completed emp is still under my bench.

Once I started doing more camping, the -7 became the clear winner in my book. If you can fit it in the airplane, you can take it. Much easier to fit it into the -7. The -7 is the most CG-friendly airplane I've ever envisioned.

Was gonna build the -8 mostly because it's the best "flight lead" airplane in my book. Rearward visibility in the -7 is not great. The -8 was going to solve that issue. One day I was highly motivated to solve it, and the next day...other things in life became more important. Am I seriously building another plane so I can see out the BACK?! Reality check...

The -7 serves my mission profile darn near perfectly. If I have to sacrifice a bit of visibility out the back of the airplane, and if that's the worst "squawk" that I can come up with...well...I can live with that. My free time goes toward other things. You've seen "Multiplicity," right?

I'm sure I'll build again, maybe in 10 years. 20? And I'm sure Van's will still be making the best kits around. There's no rush. Unless I wear this -7 out.

Dan, What you need to build now is a Super Cub for camping. I'm building a Turbine Cubs Super Cub (0-320 not a turbine) for a friend from SoCal and he is going to build a hangar up here with an apartment so he can come up and fly his airplane in the Idaho backcountry. Over 900lbs payload with full fuel so you can take along a really nice camp. There would be room for another couple of airplanes and of course I live here so I can exercise the planes when you aren't here.:D Don

Quite an eye opener!

The partially completed emp is still under my bench.

Once I started doing more camping, the -7 became the clear winner in my book. If you can fit it in the airplane, you can take it. Much easier to fit it into the -7. The -7 is the most CG-friendly airplane I've ever envisioned.

Was gonna build the -8 mostly because it's the best "flight lead" airplane in my book. Rearward visibility in the -7 is not great. The -8 was going to solve that issue. One day I was highly motivated to solve it, and the next day...other things in life became more important. Am I seriously building another plane so I can see out the BACK?! Reality check...

The -7 serves my mission profile darn near perfectly. If I have to sacrifice a bit of visibility out the back of the airplane, and if that's the worst "squawk" that I can come up with...well...I can live with that. My free time goes toward other things. You've seen "Multiplicity," right?

I'm sure I'll build again, maybe in 10 years. 20? And I'm sure Van's will still be making the best kits around. There's no rush. Unless I wear this -7 out.

When I finished (they're never finished!) my -7A I figured I'd never build another plane. Lately I've been toying with the idea of maybe building an -8 after I retire. Thoughts have been "tail wheel coolness" "sliding canopy" "fighter-like feel" "centerline", etc. But then another side of me wants to build a Zenith CH-701 for the STOL capabilities, but then it'd take me two days to get it up to Idaho where I could really realize the capabilities of it. When I see on the videos all of the -A models at Johnson Creek, Whiskey Creek, etc, I have an epiphany that, for my mission, my -7A will have all the capability I'll ever have the cajones to indulge in. Thanx, Dan!