Shockwave

Well Known Member
I'm attempting to dimple the rivet hole closest to the folded edge at the rear for the control horn. After begging and pleading the skin to open far enough to get the close quarters die and nail in, the die touches the folded edge before it sits flat.

Did anyone else run into this, and how did you get around it?

I had to grind one of my nail dies...I don't remember the exact part it was necessary on.

universal head rivet

SW - - I had the same issue on that hole in my 7A elev TT. Instead of dimpling, I used a -3 universal head (It's most likely not in your kit. I had prev ordered an assortment of rivets from ATS).

I don't recommend this if you will ever show your a/c. Even though it's on the bottom surface, it does stand out.

Thanks Mike!
I ended up grinding my nail die down on 1 side and that worked. I've heard it's often necessary to modify tools, and this was one of them.

Now to figure out how to buck it.

Again, it was a few years ago so my memory is foggy, but I may have back rivited it using a 1x1 steel bar about a foot long that I ground a long taper on one end so that it fit up in there. Spaced the other end of the bar up so it was level with the rivet and set it by hitting the bar with a good sized ball peen hammer. I think someone has posted in the past a picture or link to this technique, try the search feature.

Thanks Mike!
I ended up grinding my nail die down on 1 side and that worked. I've heard it's often necessary to modify tools, and this was one of them.

Now to figure out how to buck it.