sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I may be over-thinking or over-worrying. I'm about to dimple my -9a's HS skins on my DRDT-2. It started me thinking of how the DRDT-2, or even any conventional C-frame, is supposed to fit inside the skin if it's got a pre-bent leading edge?

Reading around some *really old* (circa 2003-2005) forum entries via Google, it's apparently safe to bend open the skin? To the point where the other side of the skin is bent open 90 degrees? And the skin will still be springy enough that it will snap back after I remove it?

I guess I'm worrying too much that bending the skin open (to basically "insert" the DRDT-2) would remove the pre-bent leading edge, and leave the skin permanently bent open.

Thanks for any confirmation and easing the worried mind.

I tried that and got some minor deformation. I suggest pop rivet dimple dies for those holes.

Thanks Don. I was starting to wonder that might be the case. Let the DRDT-2 do the ones it can reach without too much bending (maybe about half?). The rest, just pop dimple.

Time to place another order with Avery. :D

My personal opinion

From my recent experience (yesterday) I had my step dad bend the skin back to basically 90 degrees and was finally able to get those tought holes. I learned not to be to affraid of pushing the skin back while doing it and I dont see any type of deformation on mine or lack of "springy backnous". I deem it safe to do!

Get the pop rivet dimple.....

There are many places where the pop rivet dimple makes your life much easier. Order the 3/32 and 1/8 set. After you practice you will find you can do many dimples without snapping the nail. Even then you can use standard finish nails to keep on dimpling. The trick is not to think you are setting a pop rivet and pull so hard. Beautiful dimples are made without all that nail breaking pressure. :)

Scot,
Bending the skin back is fine. IF. If you are careful not to kink the bent back portion. It should be pulled back evenly across the entire skin. The biggest mistake is to have the thing sprung open and then not get it flat on the dimple die. If it is not flat then it will create a bad looking dimple. My right (second) side turned out much nicer than the left. I ended up building a 90 degree jig to hold the skin. It was very useful for the stiffener back rivet portion as well.

Not the same part but you can bend the skins back with no problem.
The top skin is held back with duck tape.
DSCN0541.jpg

Last edited: