trackdom

Well Known Member
Hi ,

I am working at the stall warning access door . I need to dimple nutplates , but I don't know how to do as the nutplates are narrow , and I am afraid I could damage these devices ... Any idea about this building part of the plane ?

regards

I have a smaller diameter female dimple die that came with my die kit, it's just small enough that it misses the protruding part of the nutplate.

Grind current dimple die

Or grind off one side of your current dimple die to clear the protrusion of the threaded section of the nut plate.
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, Alabama

Don't dimple the platenut, countersink the skin

Hello,

Read this thread and forget definitely about dimpling your platenuts.

Using NAS1097 rivets seems to be the industry standard for installing platenuts and all of mine have been installed that way. Very easy and time saving.

Hope this helps

Grind away

Just don't get it so hot you remove the heat treat. You actually do not have to remove much metal.
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

My experience was that if I dimpled, I didn't have to order special rivets and the dimples actually ensured that the nutplate was aligned properly with the screw hole. There's a surprising amount of 'slop' when drilling standard size holes for rivets; by using the dimple method, I found that the nutplate would 'self-align' more effectively than using a screw in the hole. As a bonus, it's actually faster for me than messing with an alignment screw. And (not that it's that big a factor) it's a stronger attachment than a countersunk hole.

Charlie

I think I'll do as RV7CHARLIE , I dimple the nutplate , using a female dimple grinded off ;
thank you for all your advises !!

You do not need to do extra work. Dimple the aluminum skin then install the nutplates. Do not worry about the poor fit. The rivets will hold the nutplate and the screw / bolt will carry the load. The poor rivet joint is good enough to handle the torque that the screw / bolt needs.

Vans Training in 1996 said countersink the skin

When I attended the training then offered by Van's Aircraft in Oregon the class was told that it is OK to countersink the thin skin for the installation of platenuts. I did that throughout the build and all of my subsequent modifications (especially the 50 or so I have on every one of the ten wing tips I have developed for my RV-6A) and there never has been a problem. I cannot imagine dimpling steel parts manufactured to AN or MS requirements and expecting consistency of the dimples or the installation. I can assure you that industry does not buy platenuts manufactured to rigorous standards then bring them in house and dimple the mounting holes. There is a sequence you have to go through to install the platenuts to get them installed accurately and the primary alignment is the hole where the screw will eventually be installed.

Bob Axsom

I usually put a NAS1097 rivet in to hold nutplates (with just a really thin countersink to get them to sit flush), but on occasion I have used the countersinking cage to countersink the ears of the nutplates and then dimpled the skin.