jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
When I go to dimple the wing J-stringers there's not enough clearance for the female die and the verticle bend so the dimples are ugly and the piece is slightly distorted (sorry I don't have a picture). I checked my measurement from the edge to the hole centerline and for the most point I'm right on (3/8").

What have others done? I quess I could file part of the female die away for clearance if I have to but not happy with this solution.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
RV9A wings
tail done

Sounds good Matt

I didn't know those small dia dies were available. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for the advice.

I did a search and I am surprised there weren't postings about this issue.

Jim

re: grinder

I ground a flat spot on my dies so they fit close to an edge.:)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

I originally got the small diameter dies by accident, and didn't even know they were advantageous until I heard people complaining about dimpling. My J-stringers were a non-event. I did grind down a lip on the female die early in the empennage section to give good dimpling close to a bend.

Tools were meant to be modified :). We have several dies that were ground down, both male and female, to fit tight areas. Better the tool get goobered up than the part! :)