SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
I need to have someone explain to me just how one goes about dimpling when there is the wing skin, flap stiffner, and the hinge. I must have messed up when I machined dimpled the hinge becauase the hole in the hinge is to big now. help!! ----ok, I had to drill out the hinge in order to move the flap outbound 3/16". Flap stiffner is inplace, dimpled and I have a new hinge. So, do I machine or dimple hinge? or as one seggested, put another piece of alum on top of hinge? Just confused as to what to do.

Last edited:
Flap Hinge

I just did the flap mounting a couple of days ago.
Vanlle2000 is correct that the hinge does not need to be countersunk and in my opinion it is not structurally good by itself if it is countersunk.

I know the best way is to countersink the brace, but I must have missed an instruction prior to rivetting the bottom skins because I could no longer access the flap brace to do the machine countersinking. I countersunk the skin after checking that it met the minimum thickness requirement.

If you are totally stuck with already dimpled skins and a countersunk hinge, I would talk to Van's about using a backer plate behind the flap hinge to give the rivets something the grip.

I recently replaced my flap braces and hinges (long story, don't ask) and have a few tips. Obviously getting new holes to line up with old is the biggest worry so what I did after all the rivets were drilled out was to go down to Home Depot and buy a nice long piece of 2" aluminum angle. Clamp this thing to the underside of the wing and back drill into it through the existing holes in the skin. Make sure it's positioned so as not to interfere with putting clecos in it. You might want to use a drill bushing or at least don't drill all the way through so as to minimize the time that the drill spends in the existing hole. You've now got a real accurate drill jig for the flap brace and hinge. It also works well to back things up when you countersink the brace, and comes in real handy in that it can be clecoed to the wing, flap-brace and hinge when setting the flap brace position, and will ensure a nice straight hinge line.

Regarding the screwed up hinge, just order a new one and move on. You'll see that if you use the method I've described above it's no big deal.

Last edited:
Hanging the flaps, made simple

I used Dan Checkoway's method for hanging the flaps, and it turned out great. I have some photos on my website, along with a link to Dan's original article on the subject:

Part 1
Part 2

Be kind to my poor little server. :)