60av8tor

Well Known Member
I'm still working on my practice kits getting comfortable with my tools before I begin my build. I read quite a bit of opinion on c-frame vs. DRDT. I got a DRDT with my tool kit and also purchased a used c-frame. I've tried many different adjustments on the DRDT, but do not get the quality dimples that I quite easily get with the c-frame. I've read where many folks say the dimples from a DRDT are as good as the c-frame, so I'm thinking that I don't have my DRDT adjusted properly. Any advice on adjusting the DRDT? This pic shows c-frame on the left and DRDT on the right. Kind of hard to see the difference in the pic - halos around the dimples on the right. It is much more noticeable in person.

C-FramevsDRDT.jpg

When you finish pulling on the handle do you feel it go over center and lock like a pair of Vice Grips?

I have quite a bit of preload on mine I think, it's many years since I set it up. With no material between them, once the dies contact each other the end of the handle has a further 2.5" to travel to the stop. I have no complaints about my dimples, they're very crisp.

Thanks, gents. I?ve messed around with various ram distances ? up to the point of not being able get the handle to fully close. I?ve continually increased the pressure thinking that my results looked under-dimpled, and per the instructions that state you cannot under dimple with the DRDT. The owner sent me a PM and I will discuss further with him. I am sure the issue is one of operator error. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks, gents. I?ve messed around with various ram distances ? up to the point of not being able get the handle to fully close. I?ve continually increased the pressure thinking that my results looked under-dimpled, and per the instructions that state you cannot under dimple with the DRDT. The owner sent me a PM and I will discuss further with him. I am sure the issue is one of operator error. Thanks for the advice.

The instructions state that you can't OVERdimple. You most certainly CAN underdimple.

Assuming the dies are the same pieces you use on the c frame, are the dies square on the DRD2 when the lever is down? Maybe shims are needed on the head?

I just did some dimples with the hand riveter and it did not take a lot of force. The rivets set nicely and don't seem to have a distortion around the perimeter. So just wondering about other geometry and factors, not just force.

The DRDT instructions do say to add a quarter turn to the ram past initial interference on the dies. Are people adding significantly more turns than that?