RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
Hello all, just wondering why so many people choose not to dimple the platenuts? I think dimpling is way easier than countersinking all the holes and using the oops rivets. I have a small diameter dimple die from Cleaveland tools; so if the need to buy another dimple die is the reason, I think I will just dimple them. I have read some other threads but really couldn't find a solid reason. Thoughts?

There is no reason not to dimple the platenuts, I do it routinely with no problem, but I also use the countersink and "oops" rivets a lot. Both are useful techniques, with the choice depending on the circumstances.

Count operations after the rivet holes are drilled. Dimple platenut, dimple part hole = 2. Small countersink part = 1. Half as many operations. Also, you'll find that a dimpled platenut doesn't really sit flat with the part. Sometimes that can turn into a real pain. On my last build, I dimpled a lot of platenuts. On my current build, I haven't dimpled one yet (using nas rivets).

I don't think he's talking about the K1100 platenuts dimpled for the fastener; he's talking about dimpling the attachment lugs for flush rivets. My problem with dimpling the lugs is that it often curves the platenut and I then have to flatten it to get it to fit tight.

Neverending Debate Candidate

So there you have it. Dimple, not dimple. Depends on user preference.

And in some cases, the geometry will tell what needs to be done.

Last edited:
I am talking about the dimpled plate nuts that are dimpled for the -3 rivets.
Van has them, and I don't have the part number.
I didn't know about them until finished my second RV
Correction: WICKS AIRCRAFT SUPPLY has them. Part number: MS21047

Last edited: