DaAV8R

Well Known Member
Working on the ailerons. The spar bottom flange will have to be dimpled as it is .040 and too thin to countersink for the 1/8 pop rivets. Are we also dimpling the top flange for the 426-3 rivets? I read here on the forums that some builders have had trouble with the aileron spar bowing due to the dimpling.

I had a problem with the aileron spar bowing before I drilled it and the solution is logged here. As regards to dimple or countersink I dimpled as per the plans and don't recall a problem.

Regards

Bob
www.rv-8.co.uk

Working on the ailerons. The spar bottom flange will have to be dimpled as it is .040 and too thin to countersink for the 1/8 pop rivets. Are we also dimpling the top flange for the 426-3 rivets? I read here on the forums that some builders have had trouble with the aileron spar bowing due to the dimpling.

My advice is to follow the plans and dimple the spar as indicated.

True, you will get bowing after the dimple process, however this is quite normal and is not a factor provided that you do the match drilling before making the dimples.

I'm not familiar with the ailerons on the 8, but on my 9 there are three layers.
The spar flange, nose skin and main skin. The nose skin overlaps the main skin, so that got dimpled. I then laid the main skin on the spar flange and countersunk the main skin. This gives you more thickness and prevents the thin spar flange from getting countersunk too much.

Just remember to only countersink the holes that are under the nose skin. On the 9 ailerons, the nose skin is narrower than the spar and main skins, so there is a hole on the ends where the hinges are. I ended up having to put an Oops rivet in these holes.