bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i have a need to attach a .032 doubler to a piece of .040 with 3/32 rivits.
can i dimple the .032 and machine countersink the .040 and rivit the .032 on to the .040 with a 426 rivit?
or, should i just use a 470 rivit and forget the countersink and dimple? the doubler will be stressed in shear, that is why i wanted the dimple/countersink.

I would either go with a 470 or dimple both the 0.032 and the 0.040. 0.040 dimples just fine. To get a dimpled 0.032 skin to nest properly, you will probably end up pretty close to a knife-edge in the 0.040 if countersunk.

I agree. Where is the part going? If the rivet heads will be outside the plane, double dimple (both parts) and use 426's. Otherwise, use flush or round head, whichever you like better.

Probably isn't really an issue, but I've seen tests that indicate higher strength joints result from dimpled vs flat sheet (universal head) joints. If the countersunk piece is 'inside', would that help negate the effect of approaching knife edge with the countersink? (Dimpled top sheet increases bearing area of hole in countersunk sheet?)