dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello fellow builders. I have a precision digital encoding alitimeter which i was going to install just to have the steam gauge altimeter, however, when i inspected it, it has a digital encoding facility. Do you know if this could be used in the Skyview system which I intend to buy? Would you bother with this?

Thanks for your comments

Skyview generates it's own encoder output that can be used either in the Skyview mode S Xpdr module -or exported to an other brand Xpdr, you don't need a separate encoder. Note that more components in your pitot/static system like redundant ASIs & ALTs can really affect your 2yr re-cert costs as most avionics shops want to calibrate everything connected to the system ( in Calgary that's about $100 per item!)

If you like a backup altimeter that's one thing but scratch the encoder. The Skyview ADAHRS computes all air data for the system. You have to connect pitot, static, and OAT to it. -optional AOA (the place to connect AOA is standard.) The ADAHRS altitude supplies the display, the transponder, the autopilot, etc.

So teeing off the static line for a steam altimeter is not difficult but making the system USE that value - it is not designed that way.

But if you have two watches - what time is it - really?

If the Skyview is working but your static line fails (?), it backs up to GPS altitude.