Hello all -

I was wondering if anybody else has been running into difficulties with their "treating physician" for medical problems that require Special Issuance status letters (in my case, hypertension & sleep apnea).

Since I initially got my SI a few years ago, I have had two different PCPs that I have had to ask for status letters. Both expressed a lot of concern regarding liability issues.

My current doc basically told me he is discouraging people from asking for these types of letters by charging $100 a piece for them because he doesn't want the FAA to put his medical license at risk by blaming him if my head explodes and I crash into a schoolyard or something along those lines.

While he did end up giving me the letters this year (for a fee), my fear is that he may take a harder line next year (or the year after that) and outright refuse to write them, at which point I am not sure what would happen. I appreciate his concern for liability, but I don't have any idea how realistic his concern is or what I could do about meeting the requirements of the SI without status letters.

Aside from the status letter issue, I really like my current PCP, so I hate to shop for another doctor, especially knowing there is a risk the same thing can occur no matter who I end up going to.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has some insight or experience (an actual doctor, maybe?) and can offer advice on a longer term plan forward.

Thanks!
--
Tim Coldenhoff
N194TC
www.coldenhoff.org

I solve this discussion by stating to my doctors that I don't want them to put anything other than the truth about my conditions on their reports and to not "clear, authorize, approve, go along with, favor, or any other synonym meaning the same thing" about me flying on my reports.

That is the job of the FAA SI board or the AME if you have an AASI authorization. They don't give a rip about his opinion anyway.....they will make up their own mind. All they want are all the facts you can give them and they will make the call.

I tell em (my PCP and Cardiologist) to treat my reports just like any other patient.

So far it has worked for me.

I am no lawyer but it is my understanding that we have a legal right to access our medical records and if he is treating you then you should be able to access them. Granted they can charge you for the trouble of making copies. Not sure what you can do about that other than find another Dr...

Most of the places I go now are moving to electronic records and they have been giving me a personal code to go online and see or print whatever I want off their system. My PCP told me that some part of the new health care laws made this a requirement (have no idea how true that is) and that all Dr.'s were going to be required to do that.

Last edited:
I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I am a doc. If your PCP sticks to the facts, I think it is unlikely that the FAA would go after him, if you put it in a school yard. I am certain they would be happy to let him share in the media bashing that would ensue. Of greater concern and likelihood is the family of the deceased filing suit. More than 50% of all docs have been sued; some more than once. Even if not successful, the financial and emotional cost of defending even the most frivolous suit can be crippling. Unfortunately many suits are not decide by the facts, but on emotion or which side has the best lawyer. Most docs feel compelled to practice defensive medicine, and do whatever they can to reduce their exposure. It is to the point that many docs will not complete any form not directly related their care of the patient. It is an unfortunate situation for all.

I sometimes joke that my greatest accomplishment is having made it to retirement without having been sued or divorced.

Jim Berry
RV-10