A300Driver

I've got the old style brass fuel selector valve on my RV4 that is difficult to switch left to right tank.

Besides buying the upgraded selector valve offered from Vans, what suggestions does anyone have to make the selector an easy, one handed operation?

It's about to the point where I need two hands to switch tanks!

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Fuel valve

Bob,
If you could see the inside of the valve, you would replace it before it breaks or starts leaking fuel. This is not the part to have break while flying. Its not as hard of a job as it might look. You will love the new one.
Ask me how I know.....
Bob Martin
RV-6....on second fuel valve and it turns nice. (one handed)

me too

Just did this myself recently. The new one is a one handed operation and you can actually feel the detents. An interim patch is to take the valve out and sand the sh%*&t out of the valve itself with some 600 grit or better.
It will make it work well for a couple of months at most.

The reason I did that is that I didn't realize that the new valves are plumbed differently. So, it's not a drop-in replacement. While the fittings etc. were on order, I cleaned up the old valve.

WARNING: Somebody had an engine failure recently with one of the old valves. It stuck between positions. If you need 2 hands to turn it, get it out of there !!!

Good luck.

John

You can fix the old style valve

There is a way to fix the old style valve, I'm trying hard to remember what it is!?! The reason it sticks is because its brass on brass & gauls, so no wonder it gets stiff. I'm thinking it invoves replacing the spring with a lighter one (from the aviation dept of HD, Lowes, Ace etc), and also replacing the oring on the shaft at the same time. If you PM me I can give you the email of the person who told me how to do it.

Pete