Rhino889

Well Known Member
I swear I tried to search this subject! The results got me nothing useful.

Can someone (I know there is) tell me when the different -1,-2 kits were produced and what the difference of the kits are? Rv-8 kits to be specific.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Only two significant changes

To my knowledge, which may be incomplete, there have been two noteable kit revisions on the RV-8. The first was in the late 1990's I think, and involved a slight change to the wing spar. The second change was to introduce the matched-hole fuselage kit, loosely called the -1 fuselage, and this was introduced in spring of 2006 I believe.

Again, my knowledge here is subject to corrections/additions from others.

To my knowledge, which may be incomplete, there have been two noteable kit revisions on the RV-8. The first was in the late 1990's I think, and involved a slight change to the wing spar. The second change was to introduce the matched-hole fuselage kit, loosely called the -1 fuselage, and this was introduced in spring of 2006 I believe.

Again, my knowledge here is subject to corrections/additions from others.

This is my understanding too.

Thanks guys.

So it's my understanding that a 2001 kit would not be "match-holed"? Is a 2001 RV8 kit similar to the RV4 regarding the assembly?

Thanks again

A 2001 kit would have pre-punched skins, but no pre-punched ribs, bulkheads. And the plans/construction manual would be the older style (50 some-odd plan sheets and a separate manual for construction), not the new mamby-pamby show-you-how-to-do-everything style ;)

Thanks guys.

So it's my understanding that a 2001 kit would not be "match-holed"? Is a 2001 RV8 kit similar to the RV4 regarding the assembly?

Thanks again

Not quite. A 2001 RV8 kit will still be quite a bit easier to assemble than an RV-4. As others have stated, it will have holes in the skin, but not the bulkheads. A fuselage jig will be required.

A -1 fuselage kit is fully matched hole, like the RV-7,9 and 10. No jig required.

I was wondering too.
Someone mentioned drawing 78 for refence to the tail light wire routing, but I have the older kit with 50 pages of drawings....and no reference to wire routing for the tail light that I could find....

Other differences

FYI - There are some other differences between the older and newer RV8 kits in the fuselage. In the newer kits, the center section and rear baggage floor bulkheads are now stamped, like a rib, as opposed to flat plates and angles in the old kits. Additionally, the aft control mount is a pre-made part. The good news is, this makes it much easier to run wiring through the bulkheads since they now have lightening holes in them.
I also noticed, on my QB, that most of the parts from left to right are mirror images. Usually not a bad thing, but my right rear arm rest has a hole in it for a flap motor, that only installs on the left side, and there are nut plate drill outs on the right side that on the left are used for the rear throttle option.
Also, the rear seat back is now all metal, as opposed to having a fiberglass seat top.
Having done an older RV8 kit, and now doing a newer one, I am seeing all kinds of differences. They mostly look like changes that VAN's has made to enhance production, keep the cost of the kits down and shave off a little weight.