Inverted

Well Known Member
I found a website that has some great info regarding some of the differences between Lycoming engines:

http://www.sacskyranch.com/lycoming.htm

My question in particular involves the following paragraph:

"There are individuals who have suggested that by putting 10:1 compression ratio pistons in an I0-360 engine, it could be the same as the HIO-360-D1A. These are some characteristics of the HI0-360-D1A helicopter engine that can be compared with the data on the I0-360 listed in the previous paragraph. To start, the HIO has conical rather than dynafocal mounts. The main bearing is a thick wall bearing instead of the thin wall, high crush bearing used in the I0-360. Other differences include: crankshaft designed for small crankpins, high speed camshaft, rear mounted RSA7AA1 fuel injector, large intake valves, and torsional vibration damper magneto drives."

What are some positives/negatives regarding the following differences between an IO-360 and HIO-360 when using an HIO-360 in an airplane?

I am most interested in the 3 outlined below, but would appreciate input on any of the others as well.

1. Thick wall vs thin wall high crush bearings
2. Crankshaft designed for small crankpins
3. High speed camshaft