fehdxl

Well Known Member
So I thought that the only difference between the 430 and the 530 was the screen size. However, I think I found something today that really makes the 530 better... distance to a VOR.

Let me make a short story a bit longer: The other day I was flying safety pilot in a RV7 with a 430W on the ILS 13 into HUT (http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0903/00200I13.PDF) arcing via the 240R IAF. We were using the GPS to follow the arc, and I wanted to back-up that we were indeed at 16 DME. However, the SL-30 for nav2 doesn't display DME and the GPS was tied up flying the approach, so selecting direct to HUT on the 496 (VFR only) was the only option to get a distance. Not wanting to debate the DME vs GPS distance thing here. Sure the 496 distance to HUT worked, but it's not IFR legal.

Now, today I was flying behind a 530 (with a 430 as nav2) and with the added real-estate of a larger screen, there's an additional box in the lower left corner that displays the VOR identifier, radial, and distance that is set in the nav part of the 530. Now please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the info I was looking for on the arc, right? With the 530 I can be using the GPS to fly the intermediate segment of the approach, and with HUT in the nav part of the 530, it'll show me distance. And since it's all on an IFR unit, it's legal to use, right?

I hope this makes sense. Just looking for confirmation of my idea and to point out a difference between the 430 and 530 that wasn't readily apparent to me.

Thanks for your time.

-Jim

Yes and no. The large screen of the 530 allow the display of additional information but you can get (most of) that same information on the 430 also. The 530 WILL Auto Identify the tuned in VOR and display distance (when it works which is ~some of the time) but you can also get the distance to VORs on the NRST page 3. Not as convenient as on the main page but still usable. The other difference between the 430 and the 530 is the Nav page 1. On the 530 it is an HSI type arc view with map display whereas on the 430 it is a CDI view without a map.

Minor Sidebar...

Jim - I believe that you can run a gps signal from an external device through the serial port into the SL30 and select DST (Distance - Speed - Time) Mode, and by doing so it will diplay the "GPS-generated-DME" information right on the SL30. I presume that the gps data would have to come from a certified gps device (e.g. 430) to provide IFR-legal information for the SL30. This point does not address the capability advantages of the 530 over the 430, but if I'm correct it would provide the "distance to VOR" information that you were seeking during the approach you described without having to change screens on the 430.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I'll talk with my buddy a bit more about the 430 to SL30 D-S-T interface. If so, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Take care,

-Jim

Bill,

SL-30 D-S-T I thought was linked to an external DME function - if this wrong and anyone here has it running, please let us all know the specific details....

Carl

Garmin says...

Carl, I called Garmin support for a clarification and found out that the information I had was only partly correct.

The good news:the SL30 will derive/display the DST information from CERTAIN gps signals via the serial port as I had previously described. The bad news: the serial data formats that the SL30 can read are limted to the generation of gps units that were developed around the same time that the SL30 was introduced (over 10 years ago). I was told that the compatible gps units are the GX 50/55/60/65; the SL50/60; and the CNX 80/GNS 480. Perhaps there are some non-Garmin gps units that output serial data compatible with the SL30, but the Garmin tech did not/would not offer any suggestions in that regard. Bottom line: NONE of the gps units currently offered by Garmin (either panel mount or hand held) output a serial data format that the SL30 can read.

The person I spoke with went on to say that becasue the SL30 has not been updated since it's introduction Garmin is evaluating when/if to introduce the next generation of SL30. The tech agreed that the nex/gen SL30 would need to be compatible with current-generation gps serial formats (at least those made by Garmin - Duh!). But as always, no estimate of when/if we might see an updated product.

So if you fly with an SL30 and one of the Garmin/Apollo gps products noted above you can get gps-derived DST information. Otherwise, no joy.

And for those flying with actual DME you don't get off scott-free. Apparently you cannot connect a DME sensor directly to the SL30 - you must purchase a conveter box to make this work, and the Garmin tech said that the converter box cost's around $1,000.:eek: I'm sure they've sold a lot of those converter boxes lately...:rolleyes: