campi

Well Known Member
I just finished my empennage, and I'm looking at a couple of available QB kits for sale. One is a three year old original QB fuselage, and the other is a year and half revision -1 QB fuselage. I'm trying to understand the differences and/or any advantages of going with the -1 newer QB fuselage for the 8. Thanks.

About the only dif might be, the fwd baggage door might be a little easier to get a perfect fit.
Other than that take the best deal!
Regards,

My understanding is that the -1 (new) QB fuselage comes with the top/aft skin removed... the original had it already rivetted in place.

Having seen a -1, it would have made fitting out the rear of the fuselage MUCH easier than our original one...

I just got done speaking with Vans about this situation. I purchased a wrecked RV8 and was trying to oder parts for the bird and found out that there are two different sets of parts.

What Vans told me was that the difference between the -1 and the non -1 kits is that the -1 kits come completly drilled/prepunched for everything. You don't need to jig the fuse to put it together. Just line up the holes, put the cleco in and then rivet. If you have the chance, go with the -1 kit. Your assembly will go much smoother and faster. I wish the 8 I bought was the -1. I have to take it all apart and rejig it when I fix it to get it to work right.

:eek:

WOW! That's quite a reduction of the whole process. If only it were that easy.:)

Joe

LOL.. ok I may have left out a step or two.. but you get the picture...

If you can find the -1 kit, jump on it.. the non -1 kits aren't as easy to work with. (This is what was explained to me from Vans tech. so please don't shoot the messenger) :)

LOL.. ok I may have left out a step or two.. but you get the picture...

If you can find the -1 kit, jump on it.. the non -1 kits aren't as easy to work with. (This is what was explained to me from Vans tech. so please don't shoot the messenger) :)

You are somewhat correct except the original poster was asking about quick build fuselage kits. In this case it wont make that much of a difference but the -1 fuselage would still be a bit easier.

And in the context of doing repairs as you are doing, even then the orig fuselage that you have is not bad to repair (I have done some over the years)
Since the fuselage was orig. built with entirely pre-punched skins, damaged ones can be removed and new ones riveted in place with the same sub structure holes without doing any jigging. If any of the sub structure has to be replaced this can often still be done without jigging if the damage is not too extensive.

PM me if you have any questions

I recentley recieved my -8 QB Fuse and wings from Vans. I took advantage of a discount Van's offered to get rid of a few QB kits that were built up from the earlier partial pre=punched kits.

There are actually many small differences between the kits, and more often than not, I find myself wishing I'd gone with the newer -1 kit.

I want to be really fair here so understand that in the end, I'm not really sure that I'll be spending more time with this kit than the I would have with the -1, it just really seems like it.

For the most part, even though the parts aren't "match drilled" there are at least guide holes in one of the skins/parts to guide you with final/match drilling. The biggest thing is that you end up fabricating a lot of small parts from bulk stock material whereas the newer kits have the parts already made. For instance, the rear mount for the control column is a very nice stamped, prefabricated part on the new kits, whereas with the earlier kits you have to fabricate the mount with bulk angle stock and bulk square tube stock. The new one is much nicer.

As I have the preview plans that are "current production" I can compare those with the earlier plans and instruction sheets. Clearly Van's has moved the state of the art a long way with the new kits, and I find myself trying to use the new instructions and plans. The problem with that is that I keep looking for a part that is fabricated when I actually have to fabricate it myself.

I think the one item that most bothers me the most is the rear seat back. The older QB kit that I have utilizes a fiberglass seat top that must be cut and shaped to fit. In the new kits, the rear seat back top is made of aluminum and the parts for that are completely pre-fabricated. They look very nice in comparison whith the parts I have.

In the end, I would go with the newer kit and spend the $1k, but that's me.

I want to get the building over so I can fly. If you're the builder type, then the older kit will be fine. Not the end of the world either way.

I ran into the same thing you are doing. I bought my rebuild project. I called up vans and spoke with them for about an hour (kept getting transfered back and forth from parts to tech). After the hour and explaining what I was doing about 8 times, they said all I would need is the preview plans set. I said ok and then sent me the plans. Only one problem.. they sent me the -1 plans set. They neglected to tell me that there were two different plan sets. They have my customer serial number of the airplane and they looked it up, but still sold me the wrong thing. No big deal except I spent over three hours pouring over the plans looking up all the parts I needed. I started to type the numbers into their online web store and noticed that for the rv8 some parts had a -1 after the number. So I called them back and after about another hour of explaining what I was doing 8 different times they said that I needed the non -1 plans set and that the part numbers were different. Talk about frustrating experience with my first time working with Vans. I was not a happy camper as I had to go all back through the plans agian (after it took them over a week to get to me, what is with shipping from them, takes forever...) and then order the right parts. But its all better now that I know but would have saved a lot of time.

I decided to keep the current production plans set and order the tail kit to start building my own rv8 (i'm going to sell this one after I fix it) so in the end I guess it was just a huge run around.

But what I was trying to say is excatly what veetail was saying in that the newer plans are much more detailed and have more information for you which would make the qb kit go smoother. This is from a RV NEWB perspective.

Thanks for the info Scott, I will keep that in mind. You are right, the new skins are all prepunched which will make it easier. I am going to replace one part at a time so that the fuse will keep itself straight. The only problem I have run into is that the top fuse longerons that run from the firewall to the tail are bent, so some disassembly will be needed to get to them. I have done far more extensive sheetmetal work on King Air's and Citiation's so I don't think it will be an issue. But I'm sure I will have questions as RV's are new to me.

I would spend the extra money and get the newer kit, I think you will like the revamped 8s.

QB FUSELAGE DIFF FROM -1 QB FUSELAGE

:mad: I was kinder talked into the $500.00 savings on the old style QB 8 . Vans told me that it did not matter because it was a QB Fuseage. Said that there was less work to do on the old style kit, Wrong! it matters because there are some deal of difference. I found my self building with the preview plans for the f-1 QB which has different parts and part numbers. So I called VANS and they told me a different story about the old style QB 8 than from when I ordered the old style. :confused: The rear control mount, the rear seat back, and the fire wall with the F-1 has all the holes drilled for you, nice. Bottom line is, I was told something that was not right. To make a correct statement would be the old style QB 8 fuselage is Different from the F-1 QB 8 fuselage. If you are selling something you need to know what you are selling. I have over come this little deal because this is a great airplane. Both fuelages have the same shape just some diff parts. I love my airplane!!:) I have finished my wings and drilled all the nutplates for the removable floor.

Every time I call Vans, I get told something different. Even if I talk to the same **** person. It has become very frustrating. I was informed that the people working there have been around the airplanes for years. Makes no sense to have all the mistakes.

Said that there was less work to do on the old style kit, Wrong! it matters because there are some deal of difference.

Sorry about your frustration. I guess the less work differences depend on your perspective.

Your older version Q.B 8 fuselage was delivered to you with the two rear turtle deck skins finished and riveted on. The -1 fuselage requires installing the top portion of all the tail cone bulkheads (different from yours that are only two pieces), preping, dimpling, and riveting the two skins and installing the canopy track receptical.
I guess this ends up being a trade off for some of the other work that is easier with the -1 fuselage.