A few years back I used the stuff from Spruce. The Wick's appears to be the same description.

Roberta

This foam is marketed under the brand name Armaflex. It is used by HVAC contractors for insulating ducting, chilled water pipes etc.
Often times it can be purchased locally from a Heating / Air conditioning contractor.

I spent much time and money sound proofing the forward part of my airplane and some 4 years later, most of the stuff has been removed. It just won't stay glued to bare aluminum. It was installed in accordance with instructions that came with the product, I've forgotten where it came from, probably ACS, and even the ply laminations did to stay together. There was a half inch ply and a quarter inch ply with aluminum foil between them. The 3M spray glue does not seem to like heat.

I won't do it again. It did not get quiet enough to fly without a noise cancel headset, so there really is no point to do it. The stuff is dead weight and you certainly can not inspect an air frame covered with it.

I won't do it again. It did not get quiet enough to fly without a noise cancel headset, so there really is no point to do it. The stuff is dead weight and you certainly can not inspect an air frame covered with it.

I much prefer the less noise of a friends insulated 9A; versus the no insulation, no floor carpet of my 6A. My ANR's eliminate much of the noise, but my intercom squelch seems to notice. I weighed the plane with carpet and insulating materials included, so at least it won't get heavier. :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Don't know what glue...

I spent much time and money sound proofing the forward part of my airplane and some 4 years later, most of the stuff has been removed. It just won't stay glued to bare aluminum.......

..you used, but I have found that 3M #90 heavy duty aerosol contact cement (at HD and HW stores) works much better than the standard aerosol contact cement.

I've used it for interior foam layers (same spruce black stuff) and cloth on my Tiger and it has stood up to the AZ heat. The standard stuff just didn't work so well, even in the initial cementing.

For brush on stuff, the certified Airtex contact cement is great, but comes with a hefty hazardous shipping charge....:(

adhexive backed super soundproofing

We used adhesive backed super soundproofing for the sides and floor of both our rv10 and rv7. It is easy to install and avoids the mess of having to apply the glue.

I carry a firewall kit with self-adhesive insulation that is rated for high temps. See it on the web site.

For those who have already installed insulation and are having trouble with it coming loose, give "Shoe-Goo" adhesive a try. My hangar mate's RV-6 has had that glue holding insulation to his firewall for over 10 years and 1000 hours without failure. And you can buy it at Wal-Mart. Cool.

Thanks all.. I ended up just getting the black stuff from Spruce during my last trip there (2 weeks ago).. I'll probably try attaching velcro to the floor and then to the insulation using shoe goo when the time comes.

don't

don't use the self adhesive velcro. The adhesive doesn't seam to like heat. I used it in my cessna and it promptly became gooey and fell off.

One trick for using self adhesive velcro (If you must) is to put a very wide (say 2" wide or so) piece of the self adhesive stuff on the aluminum and use a thin sewn on piece on the upholstery. This helps spread the load so the sticky piece stays stuck.

BTW, don't try to use a sewing machine on sticky velcro. Your machine won't like it. BTDT.