I'm getting very close to ordering a RV kit (4 days at Oshkosh answered most of my questions) and after reviewing the literature I picked up at the Van's tent I noticed something that caused me to think.

Information pertaining to the RV-8 will eventually mention something like this (Van's recent purchase of CNC machines has created a RV-8 kit that is much easier to assemble then previous kits). That sounds pretty good to me. I'm all for easier kits, it keeps me from making mistakes.

When I read the info for the RV-7 and 9, there will be a statement similar to this (Van's computer matched holes makes assembly easier then ever).

Is there a difference in how the RV-8 is manufactured/assembled when compared to the RV-7 and 9? I have yet to see the phrase *computer matched holes* associated with the RV-8 in official Van's literature. I may be looking at old stuff or I could be simply missing it.

Anyone know if there's a difference?

Regards,
Lee Jordan

They are all the same I believe

The technology is pretty old hat with Van's now and I am virtually certain that ALL of the later generation kits RV-7,8,9 & 10 use the match drilled (punched) holes. My kit RV-6A did not have pilot holes but I worked a process to locate the holes to do the work and avoid flutes, gaps etc. It required a lot of thought but the results were very precise. If you wanted to build an RV-3 or 4 you would certainly have to layout your own holes. Like I said, I believe the RV-8 uses the maching hole process but I could be wrong. Here is the thing I think you should consider: What airplane do you want to own at the end of the build process? If you want the narrow but roomy tandom seated RV-8 mini-fighter you will regret giving it up for something trivial like predrilled holes.

Bob Axsom

Yes, the RV-8 is all pre-punched (well, almost all...thre are a few places that you have to match drill...).

Paul Dye

Thanks for the reply Bob and Paul. At this point it looks like the RV-8 is the choice. When I first discovered RVs, the -7 really had me interested and as the weeks went by and I learned more, I found myself drawn to the RV-9.

After spending Mon-Thurs at Oshkosh talking to countless RV owners (for the record, every single owner I spoke to, graciously stopped what they were doing and answered every question I had) I discovered that the RV-8 might be the plane for me.

I went to the Van's tent and crawled into every plane they had. After a lot of trial fitting, it seems that I fit best in a RV-8. One of the Van's employees pointed out, that I was what they called a *bubba JR*, 260 lbs, 6' 2".

The -7 and -9 both had the side of the cockpit sill pressed into my shoulder where as the -8 had all the room I could ever want, and with the sliding rudder pedals there was plenty of room for my legs.

At the moment I'm trying to chase down the last few tid-bits of information. One of which was the wording of the kits construction.

Thanks again,
Lee

Last edited:
Fuselage Kit is only Prepunched

The RV-8/8A Empannage and Wings are fully matched hole. In fact, they are essentially identical to the -7/7A Emp and Wing kits. The difference comes in the fuselage, where although the skins are prepunched, the parts are not fully matched hole (meaning that the bulkheads are not prepunched). This means that you will have to build a jig for the fuselage. Don't let it scare you, it is just a little extra time and effort.

I am most of the way through the fuselage, and it was a little more guess work than the matched hole components, but it was not overly difficult and the parts fitted up well.

I agree with Bob that you should buy whatever kit will fit your mission. If you like the fighter-like feel of the -8/8A go for it, you can do it. If you prefer the side-by-side seating, the -7/7A is a fantastic aircraft as well. That said, I remember hearing from Van's that it is on thier list of things to do to upgrade the -8/8A fuselage kit to fully matched hole. I believe that the development of the RV-10 was higher on the priority list when I asked, but maybe they are working on that now. You can always call Van's customer support to ask. In any case, if you like the airplane, buy the kit, you can do it.

Good Luck

Last edited: