You will need to do a longer phase 1-------40 vs. 25 hours if you do not have a certified engine and prop combination.

YIO is the non-certified version. As others have mentioned, it requires a longer Phase I.

From a technical difference, there is really no difference other than the YIO lacks certification paperwork. Both are made on the same line with the same people.

I installed AFP fuel injection and a Rod Bower Ram Air modification, so even if I had a certified engine, I would have still received a forty hour Phase one for adding non-certified accessories.

The decision point for most folks that have all certified accessories, engine, and prop, is the cost of fifteen hours of fuel and the benefit of having a fifteen hour reduction in Phase I worth the addidtional cost of purchasing a certified engine.

FYI. Engines are not built to a TSO. They are built to a Type Certificate. 3 products are Type Certificated. Engines, Propellers, and Aircraft.

Also, as I found out, the warranty on the experimental Lycoming is shorter than the certified engine. Read the owners manual to find out.

One small issue with the XIO is that if you ever want to swap an off the shelf overhauled engine in, the engine shop may not want your core, since they cannot sell it to any certified airplane.

You will need to do a longer phase 1-------40 vs. 25 hours if you do not have a certified engine and prop combination.

Chances are very good this will not come into play. The key word is "combination". If you take a TSO'ed engine and put a prop on it that was never used with that exact same model / sub-variant on a certified aircraft, then you get a 40 hour Phase 1.

Not to worry, save your money and go with the non-TSO'ed engine. Heck, after your TSO'ed engine is put in an experimental airplane, all bets are off.

Mel, do you want to chime in here?

Just to say that if you properly flight test your new aircraft, you're going to be pushing 40 hrs anyway.

Chances are very good this will not come into play. The key word is "combination". If you take a TSO'ed engine and put a prop on it that was never used with that exact same model / sub-variant on a certified aircraft, then you get a 40 hour Phase 1.

Not to worry, save your money and go with the non-TSO'ed engine. Heck, after your TSO'ed engine is put in an experimental airplane, all bets are off.

Mel, do you want to chime in here?

aerhed is correct, if you will substitute TC'd (Type Certificated) for "TSO'd" above you'd be technically correct. Engines are not TSO'd.

Finally got a chance to scan the two warranty pages. The difference is the period of 24 months for the cert versus 12 months for the non-cert as it relates to this:

"Lycoming's sole obligation under this warranty is limited to replacement or repair of parts which are determined by Lycoming to have been defective within a period of twenty-four (24) months after new aircraft delivery...."

The non-Cert says 12 months.

CERTIFIED
cert_zps82224c63.jpg

NON-Certified:
NonCert_zpsbbec6e39.jpg