kc8ard

I've been taking a look at the various sensors that MGL has. What advantage would I have if I were to pony up the extra dough for the more expensive sensor? I notice that they say it's utilized in certified avionics.

I've been taking a look at the various sensors that MGL has. What advantage would I have if I were to pony up the extra dough for the more expensive sensor? I notice that they say it's utilized in certified avionics.

Both AHRS work in a similar fashion. The SP-4 is based on small mems gyros which currently are used for most of the AHRS systems around (in ours as well as other panels).
The SP-5 is physically much larger and is based on ring gyros (the same types as you will find on something like a Crossbow AHRS500).
We used similar algorithms to what we use on the SP-4 so successfully but have tweaked them to take recoginition of the much better performance of the ring gyros (These BTW have been designed by British Aerospace - now BAe Systems).

So the question on which is better ?
The SP-5 has a much better overall performance as you would expect but the SP-4 is not exactly a slouch either. The SP-5 is about double the price and perhaps 20 times as big (from a volume point of view) and a bit heavier.

The question should be what is the right choice for you.

SP-4 is good for 95% of all sport flying applications in any situation (I know, putting a number to this is a bit silly).
SP-5 is really intended for for professional level applications where the extra cost may me justified.

For arguments sake, I myself am flying with a SP-4 and I'm very happy with it so I am unlikely to use the SP-5 myself.
I've obviously been part of the testing when it was in development and I flew both the SP-4 and the SP-5 next to each other in my aircraft (Each connected to its own EFIS). You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between the two in real life even after some extended, hard manouvering.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics