My wife thinks -7A's are sensible.

That's why I'm building a -7..........

Last edited:
First they made the 7

As a -7A builder, I'm convinced that Van's designed the -7 first and then modified the design for the -7A. One look at the plumbing and main bolts through the landing gear brackets will convince you. There are other such issues. If I had to do it again I'd think about the choice again. A steerable wheel in back would be better for hangar operations, too.

When I made my choice, the flip-overs were not being discussed and the -A model was deemed OK for grass. Now I'd have to give it serious thought. I thought the -A was safer on landings because of the nose wheel and that's likely true on pavement, but not so true on grass.

:D
As a -7A builder, I'm convinced that Van's designed the -7 first and then modified the design for the -7A. One look at the plumbing and main bolts through the landing gear brackets will convince you. There are other such issues. If I had to do it again I'd think about the choice again. A steerable wheel in back would be better for hangar operations, too.

Now you know; that Van's went to all the trouble of converting N137RV to a nosewheel...........and didn't change it back again... :D

L.Adamson

As A sissy 7a builder

I am convinced that all the benefits of a nosewheel are completely eaten up by those "Oh so delightful" wing bolt installations...:)

Oh and the name calling just stings!

Frank