Zilla

I bought my -8 project second hand and the empennage had already been completed. The original builder was apparently trying to turn an RV into a Glasair and filled all the rivet holes with lightweight body filler, sanded it smooth, and primed the whole assembly. He also modified it for rudder trim. It's well done (if that's the look you're going for), but I'm leaning towards a polished finish. I don't want to try and take the finish on this assembly back to bare metal and was considering just purchasing a new emp kit.

There seem to be more -7 than -8 emp kits available on the second-hand market. Is there any significant difference between the two? I've heard of folks putting -8 tails on -4s. Is there any reason a -7 emp couldn't be used successfully on an -8?

There seem to be more -7 than -8 emp kits available on the second-hand market. Is there any significant difference between the two? I've heard of folks putting -8 tails on -4s. Is there any reason a -7 emp couldn't be used successfully on an -8?

The tailcone shape of an 8 and a 4 are basically the same. The tail cone of a 7 is not the same shape as an 8, which is one of the primary reasons for two different emp kits.

Makes sense...

Since the fuselage is tapering back from a wider shape, the center section of the horizontal is probably different--I bet the vertical and all tail control surfaces are identical (or close to it)...