RV7Guy

Well Known Member
For those of you with an EFIS that computes both Hobbs and Tach times, what kind of difference are you seeing between the two.

I realize this will vary based on the nature of the flying.

hobbs and flight are very very close for me...

I see about a 10% difference in tach and hobbs... hobbs and flight time have been very close.

different definitions for tach, hobbs, flight...

Each timer is based on slightly different variables...

Tach - normalized engine -on- hours based on a specific RPM (cruise)
Hobbs - engine -on-
Flight - airborne time

Each can be useful; typically Tach is used for recording any maintenance, hobbs for billing and boosting flight time, actual flight time for calculations...

I would not want to adjust Tach to reflect hobbs...

The tach. time discussion is interesting, and how most owners track time, but the FAA seems to want a different version-

(1) Section 91.173(a)(2)(i) requires a record of total tine in service to be kept for the airframe, each engine, and each propeller. FAR Part 1, Section 1.1, Definitions, defines "time in service," with respect to maintenance time records, as that time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches it at the next point of landing.

This would actually be "GPS time" with a trigger at your planes stall speed...:)

Is there another FAA definition?

My AFS 4500 efis records tach time as that time above 1200 rpm. Hobbes...the engine is running. I thought there was something wrong due to the variances and questioned it...In my case it is more than 10% but I have a relatively newly built plane and have spent the majority of time so far (other than phase 1) doing takeoffs and landings and in my plane I pretty much descend in the pattern dead stick so it makes sens

Same here

My AFS 4500 efis records tach time as that time above 1200 rpm. Hobbes...the engine is running. I thought there was something wrong due to the variances and questioned it...In my case it is more than 10% but I have a relatively newly built plane and have spent the majority of time so far (other than phase 1) doing takeoffs and landings and in my plane I pretty much descend in the pattern dead stick so it makes sens

I have an older AFS 2500 engine monitor and is set up like you have it. I'll have to calculate the percentage but off hand, I'm guessing 15% or slightly more difference.

Very interesting topic and results. Thanks!!!!

Depends...

My Hobbs meter is tied to the master switch (like most rentals) so that it counts up whenever the the master switch is on. My GRT EIS is set to start counting up whenever the engine rpm exceeds 1200 rpm. The Hobbs meter can alternatively be tied to an oil pressure switch. So it is not unusual for the two indications to be different. In reality, who cares? It's just a number that has no real significance in the experimental world. If I had it to do over again, I would not spend the money on a Hobbs meter.

My Hobbs meter is tied to the master switch (like most rentals) so that it counts up whenever the the master switch is on. .....

No, most rentals (and certified aircraft wiring) have the Hobbs meter tied to an always hot fuse and activated by an oil pressure switch.

The fuse/breaker is usually in a spot not accessible during flight.

This stops some enterprising renter switching off the master in flight to save rental $$$. Heck, who needs those radios anway...:)

Air switch

My hobbs meter is on an airswitch (microswitch inside the port wing with a paddle hanging into the airflow near the pitot).

Don't know what speed it triggers at, but it counts time when I'm flying and doesn't count time when I'm not, so that'd seem to match the FAA definition Gil quoted above.

- mark

Our flying club has "steam gauges" (no EFIS) and our tachs are "2300" RPM -- meaning not that they have an upper limit of 2300 RPM, but rather, when they are indicating 2300 RPM they "tick" at the same rate as a wall clock (or Hobbs). One of our planes used to have a 2400 RPM tach in it, so it was a little cheaper to fly than a comparable plane with a 2300 RPM tach (the club charges by the tach hour).

For pattern work, I think we typically see a tach time of around 15% less than what the Hobbs would be for that practice session. But on a long XC flight running at 2400 RPM, the tach time would end up being a little higher than Hobbs.

I've often wondered if the 25 or 40-hour Phase 1 testing was tach time or Hobbs time. Interesting post by Gil that it is [apparently] time in the air, and I don't know of *anybody* that tracks that time in their maintenance logs!

A dozen or so years ago I was investigating flying in Germany, and I learned that my U.S. pilot credentials were good over there (soon to change apparently!), BUT they would take 10% off my total time as shown in my log book, for anything that required a certain number of hours of experience. That's because over there, pilots are supposed to log ONLY the time they are actually in the air, whereas in the U.S., pilots log from the moment the plane starts moving under its own power, to the time it comes to a stop after landing (14 CFR 1.1), and most U.S. pilots simply log from engine start to engine shutdown, even though technically if you start the engine and sit idle for .2 hours getting everything all set up in the cockpit, you're not supposed to log that time. (Easy workaround: start the engine, taxi forward a couple of inches to test the brakes, then you can start the clock even if you need to remain stopped for a bit to set things up. Hehe.)

Dynon Skyview timing:

Hobbs timer = engine more then 1 rpm and oil pressure greater then 0 psi.

Tach timer = % of "cruise rpm" They give the example of cruise being 2600 rpm and flying 2600 rpm will equal 1 hour hobbs and 1 hour tach. Cruise rpm set 2600 rpm and flying around at 1300 rpm yields a hobbs of 1 hour and tach of 30 minutes.

Im doing the install right now and just finished 276 pages of Dynon's "magic in a few boxes" novel.:rolleyes:

Regards,

Scott