Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
On page 35-04 you install the main gear legs with the brake fittings at the top of the gear legs. You then connect 1289C-L and 1289C-R brake lines to them. (These are the ones from the pedals, not the ones to the calipers.)

1289C-L and R were made back on page 27-05, to very precise lengths. They were secured to the pedals and a precise distance was used to clamp them above the fuel flow sensor. Then they run pretty much straight back to the gear.

As they leave the final bushing, you turn each one to its final destination fitting on the clamp support of the gear leg. Well, mine are about 5 inches and 6 inches too long! I will have to cut off that amount (and redo the press-in fittings on the ends), else they push back and rub on cables and pushrods. When shortened, I see securing them to the floor of that section using some loose cables ties - to ensure they do not rise up and rub against the cables.

Given the very precise measurements - I am surprised at this amount of extra length to be removed. Did anyone else have this experience?

Thanks - Bill H (N412BR reserved).

Been a long time Bill, but - -

I think I tied them to something to keep that from happening. They will work ok. Just fasten them where needed to keep them out of trouble I'd say.

John Bender

On page 35-04 you install the main gear legs with the brake fittings at the top of the gear legs. You then connect 1289C-L and 1289C-R brake lines to them. (These are the ones from the pedals, not the ones to the calipers.)

1289C-L and R were made back on page 27-05, to very precise lengths. They were secured to the pedals and a precise distance was used to clamp them above the fuel flow sensor. Then they run pretty much straight back to the gear.

As they leave the final bushing, you turn each one to its final destination fitting on the clamp support of the gear leg. Well, mine are about 5 inches and 6 inches too long! I will have to cut off that amount (and redo the press-in fittings on the ends), else they push back and rub on cables and pushrods. When shortened, I see securing them to the floor of that section using some loose cables ties - to ensure they do not rise up and rub against the cables.

Given the very precise measurements - I am surprised at this amount of extra length to be removed. Did anyone else have this experience?

Thanks - Bill H (N412BR reserved).

Hi Bill,

This goes back to Rule One -- if it does not fit we are doing something wrong.

In this case it sounds like you have not installed the wire tie at the center of the rear bulkhead in the landing gear box. When installed the way Van's wants them the plastic break lines come back to the rear bulkhead of the gear box and turn down to the bottom skin, you then install a plastic wire tie through two of the cable holes and this keeps them in the center and away from other moving parts. They then move out from the lower skin to each side to connect to the fitting on the gear leg clamps.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Argh! You are so right. That picture is on the next page. And I had even seen it before! But it was a loooooong day and I thought I'd just look at one more step, fooled around with it a bit, and stopped. Gotta quit working on the plane when you're tired. So...never mind!