bret

Well Known Member
Does any one have any pics of your tips, left stock or blended in with glass, trying to make a decision here.

Here are my...

Does any one have any pics of your tips, left stock or blended in with glass, trying to make a decision here.

...primed VS tip blended in...
rckd50.jpg

...and here's my rudder.
qryuz6.jpg

The HS and elevators are the same.

If you'd like to read about everything I've done to these you can read it here: http://websites.expercraft.com/carlosh1/index.php?q=log_list&c=8

Last edited:
Hey Bret, I did not blend mine (but painted it a contrasting color from the Al) but Dan Ross did blend his. I think its up to the individual how much time you want to take, and whether you prefer the smoother look. Come on up to RTS and you can have a look at a bunch of different RVs. By the way, I was just down in your neck of the woods last Thursday taking photos.

greg

Hey Greg, are you at Stead or Reno, I would love to drive up and check out your ride, Just got back from Kansas, picked up a QB Wing for the 7

If it was all composite construction or a show plane...

but not mine. Mask and apply tank sealant. Paint tips a different color. When I look across my wings or hs stabilizer it does not look like a composite. I am not filling mfr head rings, maybe a 5 or 6 dings and that is about it. I want to fly it, not spend 10 yrs building! It is all personal preference just like many other things. If one would ever damage a tip and need to replace or repair, I would much rather deal with the proseal than fiberglass removal. I may lose 0.6 kts top speed though.

It is difficult to do it right.

I think it looks great when done well, but I see very few on the flight line that look right. It is an art and craftmanship really shines through or falls short in this area.

Affirmative

I did it and I think I'll be glad I did, they look good primed...will it look good when final painted? will it crack a yr down the road? etc, so final opinion withheld. I will say however, I have seen some that werent blended that looked darn sharp also. Definitely personal preference. Blending adds time/money/weight for sure...if you want it quick/cheap/lightweight, dont do it.

It's really a personal preference, but I guess I don't understand why people fill those gaps and not others on the airplane?

I did not fill mine and I'm glad I didn't. My empennage is aluminum with fiberglass tips and that's how it looks. :) I will probably not fill them on my next RV either.

This is our first RV.

So.......

We filled and glassed and filled and rubbed and spotted and sprayed and filled and sprayed.

No - I won't be doing it on the next one - they will be pop rivetted on and sprayed over - just kinda like Mr Beech, Mr Cessna and Mr Piper have done for a while.

Bottom line - if you want a really showstopper - do it, if you want a practical and good looking aeroplane, do what they do in Oregon - very little :D:D

p.s. - Thanks Dan for the tips on fibreglass, they have been excellent but I won't be doing it next time :rolleyes:

So if you don't do all the fiil work, and just paint, does it look ok one color or better with the tips a different color?

I blended mine and I'm glad I did. It's a real ego boost to be able to walk around the RVs at Oshkosh and say to myself, "mine look better." And, frankly, it's the only part on the plane where I can say that.

I'm with Bob. I've built two airplanes and blended them both. Would I do it again? Of course, because I like the way it looks. Is it a show-stopper? It is to me, and that's all that counts. I've seen unblended ones that look great too, but I like mine better. Look at several done both ways and decide for yourself.

BTW.... Bob, mine look better than yours.... ha, ha,, just kidding (no I'm not....)

It's your bird. Build it for you.

Why stop with the Emp tips?

The thoughts above can flow to the Wingtips as well... We have blended ours on (well, we sort of faired them, the painters did the expert finishing!).

The "access / repairability" argument will come up, and plays a part in the choice. The latter is made somewhat better if you use the -1 wingtips and the Van's Landing Light kit, since you know have a hole in the wingtip large enough to get an arm / tools in to effect repairs etc.

Various photos at Website - certainly given the finish quality/comments will do the RV-3 the same way ;)

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
UK