Mike Ice

Well Known Member
I was in Florida not too long ago and visited Spruce Creek Airpark. That is a place where the folks really know how to do aviation.

While there I met Dick Martin and got to go for a ride in his excellant RV-8. Dick has one of the best RV-8's I have ever had the pleasue of seeing or riding in. Dick has done many speed mods that also translate into fuel savings.

Dick is a master of forming aluminum and has replaced many of the fiberglass bits on his RV-8 with hand formed units. For instance the elevator tips are now aluminum not fibeglass and look great.

Thanks to Dick for the education and the ride, if your ever in Alaska contact me.

Mike Ice

I too was able to check out Dick's RV-8 in Manitowoc WI. The speed mods he has incorporated are very cool indeed. Also, I learned to fly at SFB and used to fly in to spruce creek a lot. Yes, I would love to live there:D

Dick Martin's RV8

I also have spent a few hours around Dick's RV8. It is a fantastic airplane and Dick is very entertaining in his own right. I've heard somewhere that Dick's airplane is the fastest 4 cylinder RV 8 flying. I don't know if it's true......maybe we can get up a race!!!!!!

He is fast but not the fastest

There is always a great group of racers from Spruce Creek every year in the AirVenture Cup race. Dick Martin is one of them. His Race #33 is powered by a 390 cu. in. engine so he is forced to fly in the Sport FX (Sport Fixed Gear) Class against some VERY FAST competition (the winner went 294.91 mph). His Speed last year was 231.63 mph from Mitchell, SD to Oshkosh. In the RV blue class he would have finished third behind John Huft's and Jon Ross's RV-8 airplanes with speeds of 249.91 and 233.14 respectively.

Bob Axsom