N8RV

Well Known Member
I've searched the archives, and with one notable exception regarding the report of a builder who shall remain unnamed who launched a dessicant plug into the far reaches of his shop, I've found no mention of how to recharge dessicant plugs.

My engine is prepped for long-term storage, and the normally purple plugs have turned pink, indicating moisture.

Anyone know how to make 'em purple again?

Thanks,

Don
N8RV

Pour them out of the "plugs" into separate piles on a dish towl that is in turn placed on a baking pan and bake them in the oven at 250 degrees untill they turn blue again.

Best to do when your wife is not around!

Regards,

oven NO!

Hello Don, I sell desiccant to the high-tech and shipping industry. You can get a little extened life by heating in oven, but not recommened. Email me and I will help you get more. Some questions first: How much longer are you storing it? Is it in any humidity controled enviroment (Barrier bag? or air tight drum?).

my email is [email protected]

just use a halogen lamp

Just use a halogen lamp. Works like a charm! Check it out...

20040207_under_light.jpg

20040207_after_light.jpg

20040207_before_after.jpg

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (585 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

Interesting Aside

I had my new TMX-360 assembled at Mattituck in February of this year. The Mattituck instructions basically say that the preservation lasts six months, and then you should do a few things to represerve it for another six months if you haven't run it yet. Since I am probably going to be another couple months, I called Mahlon at Mattituck, and he told me not to worry about it.

When the engine was shipped here after assembly, I noted that it didn't have dessicant plugs installed, and called Mahlon to inquire. His response was that since I went with the Titan CermiNil cyllinders, which can't rust, there was no need to keep the cylinders dessicated....made sense to me. But I still almost bought a set of the plugs cause I think they look cool when people see the engine in the shop... :D

Paul Dye
(Physically back from Russia, Body still in wrong time zone....)