Yazaman

Well Known Member
I am in Need of advice or help with registration. Here's the story....

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=107425

I Have been working working on this project for a while now and Today I just got the Annual Done. It is ready to fly except Registration...

Tyler never got the Registration in his name when he bought the RV. I have no Bill of sale, I have his parents looking though his belongings but no luck yet

I am looking for the previous owner because I have no way to register his plane in to his parents name.

I am not sure if i should put his name on here but I have looked on-line, FAA registry, Pilot Registry, Spokeo, and lots of Google Searches.

I Also Mentioned this at the end of the Thread Mentions above.

Any Thoughts?

Matt,
If Tyler never re-registered the airplane, then the FAA database would show it still registered to the previous owner. Correct? If so, then I assume you know the name and at least a previous address for that person. Have you tried sending mail to that address to see if it would forward?

Assuming you have done that, I see nothing wrong with making a post of "does anyone know a Mr. XXXXXX that built an RV-8 which he subsiquently sold, and at one time lived in City, State. If so, please contact me privately via PM or e-mail"

After that you could work out a means of contacting him... have the person pass your contact info to them, etc.

There are businesses that do this sort of thing in OK city. Check tradeaplane or do a google search.

I found four:
International AIrcraft Title
King Aircraft Title
Aerospace reports
Insured Aircraft Title Service

I used one don't remember which when I bought a airplane with a screwy title. Not very expensive and much easier than trying to do it yourself unless you live in Oklahoma City.

Most has been done.

Matt and I spoke through PM's and I did an extensive internet search as well. Matt DID locate the prior owner and has left messages with no response yet. Short of knocking on the prior's doorstep. This is where it is at. The original builder's name is also known and he is even more elusive on the internet anyway.

So considering the worst, that the prior owner might be purposely avoiding the situation... what are the other options?

I had a guy like that. Title company took care of it. AOPA also has title service if you belong.
Some people are scared of perceived liability and refuse to sign.

I've seen a situation (slightly different fact pattern) where a lawyer drafts an affidavit that, after you sign and have notarized, he takes to a judge who issues an order that declares that you are the owner. You then file this with FAA and a bill of sale and that takes care of it. (This document does become part of the aircraft record).

An earlier poster suggested contacting FAA, and when I've done that it's a PITA to get through on the phone, but once there, they are very helpful and I'd expect that something similar to the above (or maybe a lot simpler) can get it done.

Dan