jcaplins

Well Known Member
I have an idea for those that make and sell small scale wooden replicas of other's aircrafts....

From what I've seen, a customer sends pictures of their airplane all painted and a model is created that looks identical and looks great. It sits on their desk at work and others admire it and you can say i built a full scale version, and everyone is impressed. :cool:

How about a model for those of us still building? We could order a bag of RV-7 parts that have been painted to look like bare metal or primer. then attach the parts that you've completed to a wire frame. Place this on your desk. When someone asks "what the **** is that", you say "it's a model of the airplane I've built, so far". For me it would only be the tail and 1 wing. Later I would add another wing, ect... Eventually I'll be able to hold it and spin around in my chair making airplane noises.

Whacha think?

Jeff Caplins
RV-7

Exactly

I'm at the same stage on my -4: emp and left wing (except I also have the flaps and ailerons done). I would be all over the wireframe/partial complete model! Great idea!

Good for my project, bad for my career...

Great idea Jeff... seeing a partially completed RV sitting on my desk at work would be a great motivator.

Model inspiration

I don't have a buildable model, but I did get a model made for me. I got a load of pictures of RV-8s, sketched my intended colour scheme and had the model made. You can see it on the front page of my kitlog. My RV-8 won't look *exactly* like that because I am making quite a few mods & have different wing tips, etc but it serves to remind me why I'm at work when things aren't going too well :)

I also have an RV-8 fastback as my desktop background on the computer. People ask me about these and I point to the computer and say "I'm building one of those..." and then point to the model and say "...but it will be painted like this". At last people understand I'm not building a microlight or something!

It would be nice if...

A low cost model so that you could play around with painting ideas.

Kent

Tools ?

My "paws" have problems with full size tools on the real thing...this could be fiddly