Hello,

I am in the process of designing a new panel for my RV10. I’ve already bought the blank panel from Vans and I’m at the process of laying everything out. I woukd like to place scale paper cutouts of my equipment on the blank to play with different orientations. I know this should be a simple process but I’m having a heck of a time finding simple software that will let me print out scale rectangles and circles. one example, I need a rectangle that measures 7.5 x 6.565 inches.

Thanks

not exactly what youre asking, but hangarflying.com has a panel planner that lets you start with a panel blank and then click and drag stuff around. They have all the vans panels and just about all the common boxes, switches, breakers etc. already loaded and easily selectable.

Most install manuals have full scale drawings of their equipment (at least I know Dynon does). The trick is to make sure you print out full scale on your printer.

Cut them out and move them around like paper dolls. Prop of the blank aluminum panel on our work bench and stare at it like you would if it was in the plane. Move them around to try something else. For a one off, this is a fraction of the work compared to digital.

If you like, we can discuss the ease of using the bottom apron (the part that stays in the plane) for all “non avionics” stuff, like breakers and switches. The RV-10 stock panel design is perfect for building a fully removable panel.

Carl

Planning where you will install any remote components behind the panel is also helpful. SteinAir offers acrylic cutouts so you can plan that layout as well.

Most install manuals have full scale drawings of their equipment (at least I know Dynon does). The trick is to make sure you print out full scale on your printer.

Cut them out and move them around like paper dolls. Prop of the blank aluminum panel on our work bench and stare at it like you would if it was in the plane. Move them around to try something else. For a one off, this is a fraction of the work compared to digital.

If you like, we can discuss the ease of using the bottom apron (the part that stays in the plane) for all “non avionics” stuff, like breakers and switches. The RV-10 stock panel design is perfect for building a fully removable panel.

Carl
Thanks Carl. That is exactly what I want to do, unfortunately some of my avionics do not have full scale drawings. I guess I can measure and cut on blank paper, I was hopping an easier solution existed. i think all of the Garmin stuff has the full scale in the install manual as you sugessted.

not exactly what youre asking, but hangarflying.com has a panel planner that lets you start with a panel blank and then click and drag stuff around. They have all the vans panels and just about all the common boxes, switches, breakers etc. already loaded and easily selectable.
Wow, what a cool website. Thanks for sharing.

Planning where you will install any remote components behind the panel is also helpful. SteinAir offers acrylic cutouts so you can plan that layout as well.
I find figuring out how to mount remote stuff to take more time than the panel itself. The key point here is to make a lot of room for the associated module D connectors, and verify that you can actually attach or detach the connectors with the module installed.

For planning , I did the same paper doll approach as the panel. The photo is the current ride (RV-8). There is a lot more room in an RV-10!

Carl

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0697.jpeg