cmdro

Just found out I will have a slight (~one year) delay in my build while I go fly around the sandbox. I am only about 1/2 way done with the Emp and wondered about storage. I was thinking about moving the pieces from the garage into the living room (figure that will be less humid etc.) while I was gone, but wondered if I should also take the blue plastic off everything. Any suggestions on long term storage would be much appreciated.

leave the blue on.

If you can leave it in the living room with out offending any other people (wife/gf) then by all means, leave it in a climate controlled area. I would not take the blue plastic off as it is keeping the corrosion in check. Once you remove it, it will begin to show discoloration. Removing it after years of storage is still no problem, and the aluminum looks as good as it did the first day I pulled some off ('bout 8 years ago now, but who's counting)

Best.

Ben

Just make sure there are no integrity compromises in the blue, it will hold and accelerate corrosion if left in a humid environment.....ask me how I know.

I'm kinda in the same boat, I'm scheduled to leave in December and planned on just cleaning things up and leaving it just the way it is the hanger, however now with all the talk of corrosion I don't know what to do.

-David

If you can leave it in the living room with out offending any other people (wife/gf) then by all means, leave it in a climate controlled area.

Well, I am lucky/un-lucky in that case because my wife is getting deployed for a year as well (mil-to-mil marriage is always interesting), so no one to complain about the living room storage. Plus this will make affording the next sections a little easier, maybe even a QB to catch back up.

steve91t said:
You flying A-10's?
Nah, I'm going to be flying an ISR platform. Also, just checked out your profile, looks like you are going to be flying a -135 soon, if you have any questions about UPT(if you haven't already started/finished) and such I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Contrary to popular belief.....

the blue film on the aluminum has nothing to do with corrosion control. The blue film is there to prevent the aluminum from being scratched during forming processes.
Van recommends, and I agree, you should remove the film early on. Most times, it will do no harm to leave it on, but it also will not help anything. The only advantage to leaving it on is to help prevent scratches during the build process. And if you are going to paint, this too is not an advantage.